buying new equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

negev

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As a new diver I am out to buy same equipments and wish to have same help,

I am after BCD and regulator, now I am so lucky that money is not a concern here so pls ignor the cost of the equipment....
reading around the net and on this forum here is what I choose:

BCD: SeaQuest Pro Unlimited
Regulator: Scubapro Mark 25 X-650

in other words I am saying: if money wasn't a problem what BCD and regulator will u buy??

hope to get same help here....

Negev

Definitely have a look at a backplate and wings setup. They're not much more expensive, and if you have a read about people who have dived both, you will find that almost everyone currently uses their bp/w. For regulators, the top brands would probably be apex or scubapro.
Have a read of the equipment forums, and use the search funtion too :)

Congrads on joining the sport. I'm a new diver myself and I have a shiny new set of gear that I haven't used yet. Just out of curiosity, have you ever stumbled on http://www.scubadiving.com/ in any of your research? they're a great website and they rate and review all kinds of equipment. Also, if you do descide to buy anything, I bought my gear from www.scuba.com. It's an online store that ships to anywhere in the US. I opted to rent my BDC and bought a dive computer instead. The Dacor Darwin got really good scores and is reasonably priced. I have one but I haven't tried it out yet, so I can't really comment on ease of use. www.unrealfind.com is also good for online shopping. Good Luck
-Mantasscareme

Halcyon eclipse 40lb wing
Halcyon stainless steel backplate
Halcyon harness
Halcyon "MC" Storage Pak
___
Scubapro MK25 Titanium
Scubapro S600 (i don't like the X650 diaphragm style)

__
Incidently, not all the most expensive equipment is the best equipment. consider what you want to do before you buy your stuff.

do ALOT of reserach.... everyone will have an opinion...just get what fits you best!

And try as much equipment as possible. Friends, different shops rental fleets, etc.

Talk isn't worth much until you see how it feels in the water. And if you don't know how to use a piece of equipment, go diving with someone who's familar with it.

Thanks a lot for all the help....

I will continue doing my research...

Negev

And when you think you have figured out what you want...do more research and it will change, mine did.

The BCD comes down to personal preferences and types of diving you plan to do. Do you want a back inflation BCD or a Jacket style BCD? Do you plan on doing relaxing recreational diving or getting into more technical diving such as Cave and Wreck penetration? There are too many factors to make a single recommendation on a BCD. I would need more information.

When it comes to a regulator, I recommend Scubapro above all others. My wife and I have a combined 24 years of diving experience with Scubapro equipment and have never had a problem (knock on wood.) Most professional divers also use Scubapro... and there is good reason. Some Scubapro regulators have been in production and basically unchanged for more than 30 years. When something works - there is no need to fix it. While the Scubapro Mark 25 X-650 might seem like the top of the line in marketing and price... I would lean towards recommending the Mark 16 S-550 Regulator. It is a great all water regulator. The lowest end in Scubapro the Mark 2 R190 is what I use in my chosen profession (diving.) It is inexpensive and has lasted me for the last 9 years without a single incident of trouble. It has performed in water at 48 degrees farenheit as well as it has in water 84 degrees farenheit. I abuse it and it kicks me back in line. For that matter, you could buy three of these for the price of one Mark 25 X-650.

One more note on the BCD's, the Scubapro Classic is a great BCD for any type of diving... and no I'm not a Scubapro dealer or rep... I am an SSI Instructor that has deep belief in the quality of the product...

Ken

negev:
Hello everyone,

As a new diver I am out to buy same equipments and wish to have same help,

I am after BCD and regulator, now I am so lucky that money is not a concern here so pls ignor the cost of the equipment....
reading around the net and on this forum here is what I choose:

BCD: SeaQuest Pro Unlimited
Regulator: Scubapro Mark 25 X-650

in other words I am saying: if money wasn't a problem what BCD and regulator will u buy??

hope to get same help here....

Negev

In my opinion Zeagle is the only way to go, although if you plan on traveling frequently to remote sites I would suggest a company like scubapro which is much more common than Zeagle and it would be much easier to find a dive shop to fix that equipment. Although, in my experience I have never needed a Zeagle repair shop close by, I've never had a problem with anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom