C - card question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last time I added it up. I determined my c card ( plastic, real life object) had travelled with me about 120,000 miles on airplanes, trains, boats, and cars. I have never lost one. Myh log book has made the same jopurney ( actually a series of log books) and I have never lost one of those either. Same thing for passport, driver's license, credit card. I don't think this is a big issue for most folks.
DivemasterDennis

The number doesn't really mean anything for PADI recreational certs, it's not like a personal ID number. If you get 4 different cards they will all have different numbers.

The last time I added it up. I determined my c card ( plastic, real life object) had travelled with me about 120,000 miles on airplanes, trains, boats, and cars. I have never lost one. Myh log book has made the same jopurney ( actually a series of log books) and I have never lost one of those either. Same thing for passport, driver's license, credit card. I don't think this is a big issue for most folks.
DivemasterDennis
Well, I have been able to hang on to these 2 cards for just over 30 yrs... However, when I was doing most of my diving we didn't need to produce them at every dive. Now that I have to carry it with me the greater the chance I'll have to lose it. I just want to make sure I have a backup other than retaking the course if I should misplace it.
I have lost my wallet 2 times (well once lost and once stolen) in my life so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
I may, well probably am, more forgetful than most people so I like to be prepared for when I have my next event.

Well, I have been able to hang on to these 2 cards for just over 30 yrs... However, when I was doing most of my diving we didn't need to produce them at every dive. Now that I have to carry it with me the greater the chance I'll have to lose it. I just want to make sure I have a backup other than retaking the course if I should misplace it.
I have lost my wallet 2 times (well once lost and once stolen) in my life so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
I may, well probably am, more forgetful than most people so I like to be prepared for when I have my next event.

993, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT take a pic of your C-Card and leave it on your phone. Because then you'll lose your phone.

Last edited:
DivemasterDennis

Boy, you really like to tempt the "Gods of Disappearing ****!!!" You had better make a peace offering tonight. Might I suggest a little Rum and some nice mango slices.

Anyway, I do a couple things. On my Dropbox is a scanned color copy of my Nitrox and Rescue Card just in case. A shop may not take it but most are reasonable and will understand lost luggage and situations like that. Although not a card collector, just what I consider the mandatory training progression has 4 different cards. OW, AOW, EAN/Nitrox and Rescue. I store these with my logs but I have taken the OW card and put it into my Save-A-Dive kit which usually travels separately from my logs and other personal stuff. All I have ever had to show is my Nitrox card and away I go. I have traveled all over the place and I have never run into an anal retentive dive shop but it seems like some of you have. Most have me fill out the form and as long as I put a number in the certification number blank they are more than happy to put my credit card on file for the week.

Thanks for all the replies folks, I appreciate it.
Most of my concerns are resolved now that PADI has my c-cards in their database (I scanned them and emailed scan to PADI, got the reply last night that they had updated their db) so it won't be as big an issue if I do lose them however I will miss the pic of a 26 YO Navy squid on my card...

Completed the Nitrox class yesterday so I should be getting another card soon.

Thanks again,
Bill

Boy, you really like to tempt the "Gods of Disappearing ****!!!" You had better make a peace offering tonight. Might I suggest a little Rum and some nice mango slices.

Give the mango to the fish. I would suggest rum....then some rum.....then some more rum. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom