CA Bound - Holiday, Mid-week Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy:
Excellent, if you can post also in this thread, everyone that's posted here is monitoring it and would not necessarily find a spanking new thread in another forum :)

So true! I will definitely post on this thread also. Thanks DB.

DiverBuoy:
Ah that's the confusion ... the organization is called Express Divers (they do more than charter) ... the name of the boat is the Island Time. I just dove off the Island time last Friday (8 days ago) for a night lobster dive - caught 3 giant bugs too. This boat has the advantage of only burning 1/2 of your day - freeing you to do other things, however the disadvantage is it's a "cattle" boat. The tanks are underfilled and color coded - dive red tank first, the white tank second. You cannot bring your own tanks. Food is apple slices, crackers and water (ok there was a thermos of coffee last week but before anyone could pour a cup, someone spilled it - c'est la vie). The other issue is the captain only takes you to beginner spots on catalina - which are so over used (and fished) they look like it. I'll have to pass this time around folks, but have fun. It's the perfect boat run to catalina for busy people (or tight schedule).

The Island Time is not set up like most of the typical semi-liveaboard charter boats that run over to Catalina. It doesn't have the amenities that some of the other boats have ... no bunks, hot shower, or galley. No one is going cook you breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's really setup more like a resort style boat. The biggest differentiator is the time. This boat is very fast ... 22kts/hr. It's also actually docked in Alamitos Bay versus Long Beach Harbor ... with a very short run from dock to inlet. This boat is half way to the island while most others are still crawling through Long Beach Harbor. The boat is back from a 2 tank dive approx 5 1/2 -6 hrs after leaving. Their niche is serving divers who don't want to blow an entire day diving the island. Being a smaller boat, you probably don't need to fill as many seats to get them to do a trip.

As far as tanks go, they do provide AL80's. You can bring your own tank ... but not everyone can. They reserve about 6 spots for people who bring their own tanks. I usually bring a smaller tank for my son.

hey guys, i'm definatly interested, been lookin to do something while i'm home on leave. i'll be there from the 24th of dec to the 20th of jan. who do i need to call to get a seat? i'd be definatly willing to go =)

Just talked to Rich at Express Divers. The Island Time is available so it's a go!! :D Sounds exactly like my kind of boat, too!! I was able to reserve the boat with a credit card for December 28. So far we have:

Rick Inman (2) 1 diver, one non-diver
riguerin (2)
divinman (1)
wetrat (3)

He said we can bring our own tanks. Departure will be 8 am. $95 per diver, air (al 80s) and snacks. I have to dash right now but watch for more details on how to make reservations, etc. in California Kelp Divers, > So Cal > Trips and Local Marketplace. Should be able to post by about noon today.

John

wetrat:
Just talked to Rich at Express Divers. The Island Time is available so it's a go!!

Right on ! Sounds like a check out dive in the making for all the new xmas toys ;-)

Let's just pray weather cooperates. It's absolutely gorgeous today ... I can just see Catalina Island from my upstairs windows as I write this.

Join fellow So Cal ScubaBoard members as we welcome SB staffer Rick Inman and his wife down from Washington with a boat dive to Catalina on the Island Time, Wednesday, December 28, 7:30 am show, 8 am departure (sharp). The Island Time is a swift boat with a cruising speed of around 22 knots - so we should be back around 2 pm. This is a private charter so we will be able to bring our own tanks if we like, and we can select our own dive sites with skipper's final approval.

$95 per diver includes air to 3,000 psi (aluminum 80s provided), continental breakfast, snacks and soda for a two tank dive.

Make your reservation through Express Divers at 1-866-488- DIVE, then PM wetrat to let him know you will be attending. See Express Divers website for more info at:

http://www.expressdivers.com/

Because this is a private group charter, you will not see a trip scheduled on the Express Diver's calendar.

So far we have the following people signed up:

Rick Inman (2)
riguerin (2)
divinman (1)
wetrat (4)
Scubalizard (1)

ok im in

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom