Cabo or Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
We are considering a last minute trip in August. We have been looking at a few Caribbean destinations including Curacao, Roatan and Cayman Brac. We have some concern about hurricanes at this time of year of course.

As we were pondering our options tonight, I had a thought about diving in Cabo. We even phoned Amigo del Mar to get the poop on a decent hotel etc.

As we investigate the possibility of Cabo, we are coming to the conclusion that diving in Cabo is really nothing like Caribbean diving. It seems like there isn't really reefs and coral, and the highlights would be seeing big stuff... assuming you manage to see it. The vis doesn't seem so great either (all of these conclusions are based on about 30 minutes research!) Certainly diving with sea lions and mantas is appealing, but is the expectation realistic. I don't want a week of "You shoulda been here last week" from our DMs...

For those of you familiar with diving both areas, are our "conclusions" correct? Other than big stuff, is the diving in Cabo worthwhile?

I should point out that the last 3 or 4 trips we have taken have been places like Turneffe Cay, Utila and Little Cayman. To us, a large resort is 20 rooms. Amigo del Mar recommended a place that was "small" but it has 238 rooms... and there's cars and traffic and a city. Not really what we want. Unless the diving is awesome...

So wordly travellers, guide us please... :)

Thanks!

....a trip in August.... We have been looking at Curacao, Roatan and Cayman Brac. We have some concern about hurricanes at this time of year of course.....

are our "conclusions" correct?

The starting point for your query might be on a rough footing.

Although it is indeed Hurricane Season in the Caribbean, but they rarely affect Curacao, and even the rains that are thrown-off usually steer North of Roatan in the August time frame.

Not exactly a real high risk-time period in those two areas.

If you do not like crowds then do not go to Cabo, we would suggest Roatan as a much better true laid back dive destination. Though you would probably see the sea lions out at the arch the mantas are hit and miss.
There is some world class diving out of Cabo by Liveaboard such as the Nautilus Explorer to Soccorro where you would for sure dive with Mantas and sharks such as hammerheads and we would recommend that very highly.

From what I am told by friends, La Paz is the place where you get the best diving in that area of Mexico. It is cheaper and not a busy city. Best time to go is Sept-Nov when you might see hammerheads, whale sharks, plus all the fish and sea lions, etc. I think Club Cantamar is the place they stay.

My big issue with going to Caribbean from Aug-Nov is not the hurricanes necessarily but the rain and humidity. It is freakin' hot and humid, and also rains often which can muck up the vis. If you don't mind those factors, go to Roatan, Cayman Brac, or Bonaire. I am a huge fan of Cocoview Resort on Roatan - best dive resort anywhere, IMHO. Welcome to CoCo View Resort located
There are places cheaper on Roatan, but no where near the service or ease of diving. YOu can do 4-5-6 dives per day, unlimited 24/7 and a wreck and reef right in front of your room.

robin:D

Thanks everyone. I guess we'll take our chances! I don' mind heat and humidity as long as I'm never more than 10 yards from either the ocean or a cold beer... preferably both.

Cabo has been on my TDL for years, but it does look busy and I hate busy...

Back to the drawing board.

Stoo,

I can't speak to Curacao or Roatan as I have not been (yet!). I have been to Cabo and did several dives there including a trip to Cabo Pulmo. IMHO: I would book a trip to Florida before I would go back to Cabo. The diving was OK but at the bottom of my list of dive destinations. Topside most everything was crowded, loud and expensive.

I would be inclined to follow Robint's recommendation of Cocoview. Everyone (except don) raves about the place.

Wherever you wind up: Have Fun!

Topside most everything was crowded, loud and expensive.

Well that's entirely what we don't want. We have gonna ahead and booked at Brac Reef so hopefully the hurricanes will leave us alone. We have been to Little Cayman so we're hoping the diving is similar.

We had a good look at Roatan, but we've been there many times and wanted to try someplace new (hence the interest in Cabo).

Thanks again everyone.

We had a good look at Roatan, but we've been there many times and wanted to try someplace new (hence the interest in Cabo).

Roatan is a long, narrow island with extremely diverse diving environments, depending upon which side of the island you have tried.

Been to both?

Avoid the Caribbean between June through November, I took a chance and came down to Grand Bahama and the keys, fortunately I did 6 dives.. because a small window opened up but most of the diving is canceled due to the Tropical depression that has suddenly formed. I was looking fwd to diving the Spiegel Grove but that isn't happening now.. definately avoid this area during the off months I mentioned.

The topside weather is just fine but the ocean is still rough and the chances that you will not dive due to rough weather is much higher than locals here will lead you to believe ;-) You don't need a hurricane to cancel diving, just an area of low pressure causing waves and that happens quite regularly during the off season.

About Cabo, i've dove there as well... it's actually nice but the topside is a tourist trap and horrendously overpriced (not that Bahamas is any different lol!). I heard La Paz is a good bet!

PS - I just reread the thread and see that you already booked! Hope you have the luck to get a good set of dives during your visit!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom