CAD increases charter price

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred's Easy Diver and Fran Linehan's boat are in the same area as the CAD boats, down on the end. Fran Marcoux's Daybreaker is over on the other side of the hotel, the first slip of boats on the left as you are coming in from offshore; down in where the fuel pumps are.

Fran is definately the tops for the area; unfortunately his schedule fills up quick so it's tough to get a spot if you aren't willing to take that last remaining spot. I only managed to get out with him once last year [when he headed down the coast to the Pinthis] and even then I could only get on the morning charter.

So... yea... uh. Fran's boat sucks. Don't use it. [maybe I can get a spot if I tell people that :wink:]

Heather Knowles and Dave Caldwell started running in november and offer a nice change of pace then the typical Poling Poling Poling Poling Poling. I've been out with them a couple times this year already, and heading out again this weekend. $60 I believe, and they run year round. http://www.northernatlanticdive.com/gauntlet/gauntlet.htm

I never dove with Fran, but I also heard that he runs the best operation around. I hope to dive with his operation this year.

Michael

I highly recommend Pat Breen's boat as well for SS/Boston area diving. Went w/ him + DM Paul twice last year diving Boston Harbor and had a great time both dives. Quick trips to the sites and tons of stuff to explore in the old harbor and I'll be back for a few charters again this year. I don't know if he'll do it again this year, but last year he set aside an exploratory dive day(I think it was Wednesdays) for only $40 for two dives. Not a big boat, but that just means less people in the water. I've taken CAD, but I'll have to try the other NS charter boats recommended.

LobstaMan

I'm looking forward to trying out Pat's boat this spring. IME, by mid summer the vis is, in general, much worse on the South Shore vs Cape Ann. Anyone want to comment on this? I'd be interested in hearing what the typical viz irange is for places like The Graves or 3 and 1/2 falthom ledge in August - are we talking 5'? Last year I did some commerical work in about 40' of water off Nanstasket - we logged a decent number of divers and more days that not it was pea-soup (espically the 1st 20' or so). All that water coming down the channel (Nantasket Roads) is pretty murkey stuff.

MASS-Diver:
IME, by mid summer the vis is, in general, much worse on the South Shore vs Cape Ann. Anyone want to comment on this?
When diving the South Shore in the summer I've seen some of the best and worst vis I've ever run across in the area.

I've seen <3' off Nantasket, <2' off Gun Rock, <5' off the Brewsters.
I've seen >40' off Outer Minot, >40' on the Pinthis, and >30' off the Brewsters.

MSilvia:
When diving the South Shore in the summer I've seen some of the best and worst vis I've ever run across in the area.

I've seen <3' off Nantasket, <2' off Gun Rock, <5' off the Brewsters.
I've seen >40' off Outer Minot, >40' on the Pinthis, and >30' off the Brewsters.

Imagine if we had access to real time buoy data that included a measure of visibility? Maybe we can all chip in a few bucks to the GoMOOS people and get such a system installed :wink:

--Matt

I got about 20 dives in last summer around Boston and the worst vis I had all year was about 15' (at graves)
Maybe I just got lucky, but there was great vis all summer everywhere I went. 40 on the polling, 50 at halfway rock, 30 at hardings ledge, 30 at 3 1/2 fathom ledge, 25 and 15 at graves, 25 on the pug.

You can sent fran an email and he will put you on his email list, so you will get weekly updates on destinations and availability. He has 2 lists one for recreational and one for technical, so you may want to be on both lists. He does run a great operation.

TT :wink:

You must've been diving on the weeks I wasn't....

TwoTanks:
I got about 20 dives in last summer around Boston and the worst vis I had all year was about 15' (at graves)
Maybe I just got lucky, but there was great vis all summer everywhere I went. 40 on the polling, 50 at halfway rock, 30 at hardings ledge, 30 at 3 1/2 fathom ledge, 25 and 15 at graves, 25 on the pug.

You can sent fran an email and he will put you on his email list, so you will get weekly updates on destinations and availability. He has 2 lists one for recreational and one for technical, so you may want to be on both lists. He does run a great operation.

TT :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom