California learning to dive questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also highly recommend getting a Lavacore base layer, top and bottom. It's quite thin and not much more than a dive skin but adds a fair bit of warmth without adding lead (we didn't have to add any - it's purported to be equivalent to a 2mm layer in the water in terms of warmth but is neutrally buoyant). Not to mention it makes donning and doffing a wetsuit a lot easier - I have an Aqualung 8/7mm SolaFX which fits me really well but is impossible to get on/off without a dive skin or the Lavacore underneath.
We have found it to be extremely versatile for many different conditions for layering as well. I've worn it in 85F water in India instead of a lycra diveskin and layered it with a 3mm shorty for 75F water and been very comfortable both times.

As far as custom wetsuit purchase, it made a HUGE difference for my wife. She went with WetWear, 5mm full suit with EZON zippers (those things are super awesome!!) and a 7mm shorty. They are pricey, though - almost to the point where you're starting to get into the low end drysuit range - but totally worth it if you don't like drysuit diving.

Best,
elgoog

If you have the opportunity try as many brands as you can. Each brand has slightly different cuts and fits a little different. Depending on the maker I'm either men's small or medium. I've also found that Aqualung wetsuits in particular are almost always too long in the arms and legs. Some brands have several different sizes beyond just small, medium, and large such as medium long or large short.

For California you also need hood, gloves, and booties. The hood should be comfortable and stretchy. I prefer 4 mm gloves for little extra warmth but still acceptable dexterity. Previous gloves 3 mm better dexterity but not as warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom