calling out the BP/w-philes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

obligatory: Get a BP/W

:eyebrow:

Good trim is possible in almost any configuration of gear, and equipment shouldn't be used to solve skills problems.
5. back inflate systems make good trim a breeze compared to "poodle jacket" BC's, but this is not inherent only to BP/W systems.

That stuff about putting weight on your back instead of your belt...mmm, if you want...but it's not for me.

In short, I cannot find very many reasons to NOT use a BP/W. They don't do anything worse than a poodle jacket, except when you are on the surface. .

Good points, I'm surprised your post hasn't been quoted more...... There are "some" in the BP/W community that seem to believe that their gear will make them superior divers. These same divers will happily post videos of themselves and their dive buddies leaving "smoke trails" where ever they go.

It is possible to have good trim and bouyancy in any gear configuration........
To the OP forget a BP/W ....... get some split fins!

To the OP forget a BP/W ....... get some split fins!

But I just blew all my money on those slingshot fins... Next, you will be telling me that Spare Air won't rescue me at 130 feet... :)

But I just blew all my money on those slingshot fins... Next, you will be telling me that Spare Air won't rescue me at 130 feet... :)

It will if you have enough of them secured all over you. I learned that from somebody right here on SB :thumb:. Just remember......when trying to keep track of which ones are enpty and which are full......the empty one's are empty :wink:

It will if you have enough of them secured all over you. I learned that from somebody right here on SB :thumb:. Just remember......when trying to keep track of which ones are enpty and which are full......the empty one's are empty :wink:

I wasn't planning on trying to use my Spare Air to breathe - I was going to use them for propulsion. In case of an OOA emergency I was going to pull two of them out of my hip-holsters and, holding my hands firmly behind my back, depress both purge buttons, using the Spare Airs to rocket me to the surface and, thus, safety.

Below 130 make sure you are using the new trimix spare air. They must be DIR.

Below 130 make sure you are using the new trimix spare air. They must be DIR.

I hear they are actually doing groundbreaking research into the use of Nitrous Oxide trimix (nitrous oxide, oxygen and nitrogen) for use in emergency Spare Air's for deep, deep dives, such as those deeper than 60'. Supposedly, it is superior as an emergency gas when used in Spare Air's because anyone who uses it can't help but laugh at the thought of trying to get to the surface on such a small gas supply. :wink:

disclaimer: this post contains only my personal opinions and humor, and should not be taken as factual claims or reviews of the product.

The secret truth of the matter is that, deep down, I don't feel cool enough for a BP yet. :)

Sigh - (Shaking my head resignedly...), To paraphrase Wolfgang Pauli, not only is your "truth" not right, it's not even wrong! Positive causality works in the direction of increasing entropy. You don't get a BP/W when you become "cool enough", you become "cool enough" AS A RESULT OF getting a BP/W!

Sigh - (Shaking my head resignedly...), To paraphrase Wolfgang Pauli, not only is your "truth" not right, it's not even wrong! Positive causality works in the direction of increasing entropy. You don't get a BP/W when you become "cool enough", you become "cool enough" AS A RESULT OF getting a BP/W!

I always hate it when I confuse cause and effect. Thanks! :)

I hear they are actually doing groundbreaking research into the use of Nitrous Oxide trimix (nitrous oxide, oxygen and nitrogen) for use in emergency Spare Air's for deep, deep dives, such as those deeper than 60'. Supposedly, it is superior as an emergency gas when used in Spare Air's because anyone who uses it can't help but laugh at the thought of trying to get to the surface on such a small gas supply. :wink:

disclaimer: this post contains only my personal opinions and humor, and should not be taken as factual claims or reviews of the product.

I laughed so hard at that one my Daughter came in from the other room to see what was so funny.
:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom