Camcorders, Housings and Lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

balls:
Currently, I have a Sony DCR-HC1000. I've had it for about a year now and love the camera & video. I'm dying to set it up for U/W video. What I'm aiming for is this:

Amphibico Invader Housing:06:

Got the housing!! :D
Pairing up with an Amphibico 10 Watt HID lamp I had previously.

Unfortunately, my daughter is getting married in August so no $$$$ for dive trips for a while :(

Ciao for now

i'm looking at the hc3 but there aren't many housings available yet. i've seen the L&M bluefin and the Amphibico online as well as the Seatool but haven't seen any of them in person. would love to find a retailer in the NJ/NY area that displays them to get a hands on feel before buying.
Any suggestions on where to find a retailer that displays them in my area?

Sony HVR A1E HDV camcorder
Gates housing.

Very happy, very new, so Im still getting used to various functions. Each dive I improve. Just changed over from a TRV900 in a Sony MPK housing, also very nice but only function were zoom and record, so everything else now available is new to me. I really like the size of it and the levers are all very accesible. I didn't get the external monitor though as I just couldn't afford another grand.

Aloha

I've been using the TRV-900 for about 8 years now. I love it because its the only camera that has great Low-Light feature. no graniness. I live Maui and dive caverns 3 times a week. it works great. I have a Amphibico Navigator 900 Housing to go with it.
Have logged about 3000 dives with it. never a problem. The housing is manual which is always better. Electronic housing are no good. one mess up and fried. Anyways, the best feature on the housing probably on cost the comapny 20.00. they cut a hole on the side, place a piece of glass, sealed it and put a door with a hinge on the outside with a mirror so you can turn the LCD screen around completely on your camera and close it with the view point out. then you can see the image in the mirror. great for macros and anticipating actions underwater like panning and zooming. Your peripheral vision can be utilized now.

anyways. just wanted to share. will be upgrading to HDV housing soon. Looking at the gates because amphibico has an electronic model offered. I already went thru that once before with them with their VH-1000 Housing & VX-1000 that I first had before the nav 900. Microphone was faulty and always leaked and then fried the computer board on the inside. It happened three times before they finally sent me a plug and decided to not put Stereo Microphones on their housings. Now they use Hydrphones. which work OK but the audio is abit muffled. The stereo mic they had before was great for surface shooting as well.

aloha

Aloha fellow videographers,
I have been on Oahu for 5 yrs running a recreational dive video service for any and all divers, including videography specialty courses.
My set ups are as follows:
Sony HC3 in Ocean Images HC3 housing with electronic controls & touch screen controls.
Sony TRV950 in Ocean Images Dolphin Pro housing with electronic controls and added manual "expsoure and white balance" controls
Sharp DV Viewcam in Ocean Images viewcam housing w/manual controls (used for teaching)

All systems work with the RB-75 lights that I interchange between housings (even underwater)

The HC3 is blowing my mind with quality. Resolution and color are unlike anything I have ever seen!!! VERY sensative to change , but when it locks on with the right settings...look out! Housing is excellent with exception to white balance adjustment is difficult to do quick.
TRV950 is great work horse and I have no complaints about any of the Ocean Images housings or the company for that matter. Friendly and VERY easy to work with.
Over 1500 dives with RB-75 lights and Dolphin pro housing with only a few flood incidents. (My fault too!)

2 words of advice for anyone wanting to put money into a video system.....
..EQUIPMENT INSURANCE!!!!!

Mahalo for now

Do any housings use firewire for the electronic controls?

I'm not very pleased with the older canons that have LANC ports. The only one that I really like is the GL1, but seeing how I have never filmed anything on land, much less underwater, I don't want to spend that kind of money. Plus, that is a lot of money down the drain if I have a flood. Sony has tons of models but I hate Sony with a passion and have had nothing but bad experiences with other Sony electronics.

Is there any kind of adapter to convert lanc to firewire?

Everyone should check this out http://underseavideo.com I have been using this set up for over 2yrs with a sony trv-70 mini. Cost was around $3,000.00 for 2 lights, battery pack, wide angle lens, monitor, case, filters for Atlantic and Pacific oceans. This is not the prettiest set up but it's very sturdy, has never failed me and I've gotten some great video with it. Very important is Warren (owner) really stands behind his product and has been extremely helpful and reasonable over the time I've had the unit. Problems were usually caused by myself with Warren solving them for me quickly. All electronic controls, so provided a new camera can physically fit in the case, Warren will reprogram the case for the new camera. I'm able to hold the case and jump in the water with it instead of having it handed to me. The lights simulate sunlight very well.

After a little more research and seeing what some on here had to say, I've settled on the Sony HDR-HC3, and Ikelite housing.

I've found the camcorder itself at USAPhotonation for $570.

Question... has anyone dealt with this vendor? Their prices seem extremely low compared to some others, however, everything seems to be in order, and they note when the product is new or refurbished.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom