Can anyone help, please!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To check your weighting to equipment ratio at the surface, hold a breath and dump the air in your bc, if your eyes are at surface level you are properly weighted, if you sink below mask level your overweighed and visa-versa. When you are properly weighted you dump and exhale and should have no problems on ascent. Check with your instructor on a peak performance buoyancy instruction, sometimes part of an advanced certification. Remember to relax and enjoy the diving experience. When you attain proper buoyancy there is no experience like it other than maybe being an astronaut in free-fall, enjoy....
http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Union/Diving/OtherResources/oldpages/trips/weight.htm

Before I would be willing to offer a suggestion, I would like to ask, how is your buoyancy at the end of the dive? Do you have problems with floating up to the surface when you should be doing your safety stop? This is critical to making a suggestion on how to help you decend at the beginning of the dive.

To check your buoyancy you need to be at the surface, let all the air out of your bcd and hold a normal breath. You should be about eye level with the water if your properly weighted, if your bobbing at the top, you'll need a little more weight. I would suggest having your buddy (if willing) bring extra weight and hand small increments to you at a time until you find yourself eye level. For me personally, I do this test with about 300psi in my tank even though I was taught to do it with a full tank. (I just don't want to be to light at my safety stop)
After that, just relax, remeber its not a race to the bottom, just glide down.

Hope this helps :)

I bet this is going to get moved but hi anyway.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

What baitedstorm is telling you is the way I learned to weight myself about 25 years ago. While it always worked to get me into the right range of weight needed, I would then continue to refine the amount of weight needed on each dive. I found that I could actually use less weight than what I originally started with. Of course, if I had a few too many desserts that week, I might need to ADD a pound of lead! :11:

Recently, I've been made aware of another method that may be better. Since you want to stop at 10 feet at the end of a dive, you should be weighted so that you are neutral at the end of your dive with NO air in your BC and 500 psi in your tank.

You may want to get yourself close by using the first method and then refine the amount of weight you need by working on the second method at the end of each dive.

It's normal to get some water in your BC, but if you're ending up with "a lot" of water in your BC, then you need to become more aware of when you BC has no more air in it. Once it is empty, then if you don't let go of the exhaust valve it will start to slowly fill with water. That's usually why you end up with "a lot" of water in your BC.

I hope this helps.

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or repsond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

headhunter:
Of course, if I had a few too many desserts that week, I might need to ADD a pound of lead! :11:

I hate when that happens :eyebrow:

baitedstorm:
I hate when that happens :eyebrow:
In fact, tonight, I just sucked down way more dinner and dessert than anyone should be allowed! :11:

But I USUALLY excercise a good amount of portion control and take some food home. :wink:

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom