Can DMs take cameras on the dives they are leading?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

I am just wondering if there is anything in the PADI, SSI or NAUI guidelines that prevents dive masters from taking cameras on the dives they are leading? I understand that instructors are not permitted to carry cameras on training dives but what about Divemasters who are leading certified divers?

Thanks.

I think that it's generally frown upon as the dm is suppose to be attentive to the students and having a camera can be a tool for distraction.

However, I know of dms who carry cameras to capture the moment before and after the dive n during the safety stops.

I certainly wouldn't wan my dm to be happily snapping photos and ignoring the group.

If they are leading certified divers, the only hang up would be if a diver in the group had an emergency, and the camera is the sole reason the DM couldn't take proper action. Not a likely scenario, but there is nothing in the NAUI S&P that forbids this. The DM is the planner/organizer/leader of the dive, but should still be able to enjoy the dive too.

With the advent of the head mounted Go Pro camera, I think this should not really be much of an issue. It can be entirely hands free during the entire dive. Zero task loading..

I think that it's generally frown upon as the dm is suppose to be attentive to the students and having a camera can be a tool for distraction.

However, I know of dms who carry cameras to capture the moment before and after the dive n during the safety stops.

I certainly wouldn't wan my dm to be happily snapping photos and ignoring the group.

Well for students it would not be a good practice in IMHO for the DM to take camera with him. While leading certified divers I tend to agree with tomfcrist that DM should be able to enjoy the dive too.

The agencies really don't set rules like this at all. It would be up to the employer to determine the rules for the DMs they employ.

I certainly wouldn't pay a DM a second time if he was not paying attention to the divers (me) in the group. This of course presumes I am paying him to lead a dive.
Just this year I thumbed a dive because of an unattentive DM.

I certainly wouldn't pay a DM a second time if he was not paying attention to the divers (me) in the group. This of course presumes I am paying him to lead a dive.

How much attention do you need? You are a certified diver right? Confident and comfortable in the water yes? What qualifies the DM as being inattentive? What do you mean by thumbed a dive? Do you have a clear definition and understanding of the job duties of a DM? Supervise does not mean: swap tanks for you, get you a soda, hold your hair while you puke, put your fins on for you, rinse you down, check your air before you jump in, defog your mask or piss on you when you get stung by a jellyfish :) Thats what your dive buddy is for. DM's are there to assist with making sure you get off the boat and back on successfully or with in reason. Contrary to popular belief they are not indentured servants. They are there to provide aid with in the scope of their training. To organize and supervise dives, thats it. Anything above and beyond that is them trying to make a better tip to support themselves and or family.

Last edited:
On a dive with a group? I could care less and in fact have purchased some fantastic video of my dives taken by my DM before the invention of GoPros. I would rather he take the wonderful video as a keepsake for me to have for years to come than hold my hand and annoy me throughout my dive. I don't need somebody to lead me, navigate and check my air.

In a class, you better believe a DM should not be taking pictures. Unless he's the designated videographer for the training class that day.

I've been on a dive where the dm was filming with a big ass camera. I then bought the video.

Didn't bother me, my buddies were always close by.

Back
Top Bottom