Can I vent a little?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I can swear at home...especially with my dad.....

F this, F that..ofcourse its all in jest.....

My mom, now she is a little less liberal so I leave the F word out normally, unless the situation warrants its use. O-Ring has seen a video of my dad that I videotaped....he knows what I'm talking about. Then again, he has scene a video of my cat and I...but we wont go into that. :D

... My vision at least:

#1: Satellite internet
#2: Big assed Sailboat
#3: Webcams and GPS.

So while I'm telecommuting, I can use my digital camera to take pictures of the scenery; and my co-workers can check out www.whereisspectre.com to see the map of the world, see the dot where I am, and see what's off my bow and stern.

Of course, I'll have to put a mix station on the boat. As the end of the day meeting is wrapping up, they'll be able to see me rigging up my scubagear on the webcam.

Ahh... that'd be sweet.

I left the midwest 8 years ago this spring and have never looked back. Now I live on an island and am a lot happier than if I stayed in the tundra. If you are really wanting to make it happen, you can do it. Snowfall in mid-April is waaaaay over-rated. Walking to the beach for a swim with your faithful yellow lab after work is waaaay cool.

If this is just a rant, then that's fine, but I used to live in Chicago and have a pretty good idea what you are going through. I never though I would have had the guts to get out of the rut I was digging, but I forced myself out of it with a leap of faith and the rest is history.

Yes, you still have to work and deal with paying bills and the like, but if you have to do those things, doing them where you are happier (and being able to make the move while you are still single, young, etc.) will give you if nothing else an experience that you will have for the rest of your life.

Jep: send me a private message if you want more details.

scubamax

I love the climate and island atmosphere, but I am not sure I could hack it 24x7. First of all, you dudes whining about snow need to pick up a snowboard or some skis and get busy. Even though diving season is cranking up right now, I am still jonesing to get on the mountain.

There aren't too many places where you can have both and I kinda like the idea of being able to do both. If you are hating the snow, pick up a winter sport and give that a try. I can get really excited about both seasons now and they dovetail so nicely..

I had no problem with winter for the last 26 years, until now...after doing about 40+ dives in Bonaire within the last 4-5 months..I have seen the way.

I would have no problem living in a climate that doesn't vary much year round, especially one like Bonaire's. I know some people whos idea of a great vacation is going to Canada in the winter...each to their own..give me the Caribbean or give me a boring IT job in downtown Chicago...errrrrr

;-0 ;-0

jepuskar once bubbled...
I had no problem with winter for the last 26 years, until now...after doing about 40+ dives in Bonaire within the last 4-5 months..I have seen the way.

I would have no problem living in a climate that doesn't vary much year round, especially one like Bonaire's. I know some people whos idea of a great vacation is going to Canada in the winter...each to their own..give me the Caribbean or give me a boring IT job in downtown Chicago...errrrrr

;-0 ;-0
Everybody deals with the climate/location and interests differently. I used to dread winter until my dive buddies that engage in winter sports talked me into going snowboarding/skiing with them. I was really skeptical but I gave it the old college try and it turns out I really loved it. God knows DC isn't the greatest place to live in the world either...especially these days. But, what we do have is a good job market, good cultural events, lots of stuff to do, access to places like Virginia Beach and North Carolina for diving, and access to the East Coast skiing areas (ok, they are a little wimpy compared to out West).

I like the variety...dunno if I would want to raise kids here, but it ain't so bad. I agree that there is something very enticing about island life, but remember (and maybe some of the people that are living the dream can comment here) that the grass is always greener. When you are there on vacation, it is the greatest thing in the world...because you are on vacation. When people come to visit me in DC, they love the place and I am like "oh yeah, really...huh.." Having to go to work and adapt a daily grind anywhere gets to be a grind after a while I think. A remotish island might seem like paradise while on vacation, but I think it has its own limitations as well. I think it would be cool for a year or so, but I can't imagine living in a place like Bonaire indefinitely...I think you would get severely bored after 6 mos to a year.

scubamax once bubbled...
I left the midwest 8 years ago this spring and have never looked back. Now I live on an island and am a lot happier than if I stayed in the tundra. If you are really wanting to make it happen, you can do it. Snowfall in mid-April is waaaaay over-rated. Walking to the beach for a swim with your faithful yellow lab after work is waaaay cool.

If this is just a rant, then that's fine, but I used to live in Chicago and have a pretty good idea what you are going through. I never though I would have had the guts to get out of the rut I was digging, but I forced myself out of it with a leap of faith and the rest is history.

Yes, you still have to work and deal with paying bills and the like, but if you have to do those things, doing them where you are happier (and being able to make the move while you are still single, young, etc.) will give you if nothing else an experience that you will have for the rest of your life.

Jep: send me a private message if you want more details.

scubamax

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: You haven't told us where u are.....could be on Rikers <sp> Island or anyone of those "prison" islands....hehehehe...

Jep.....my young friend, if you want change, make change when it only affects you and not those around you. Best to do when there are no major ties, like kids, wife, mortgage.......My wife and I lament that we didn't make the changes BK... and mortgages, businesses etc........BTW remember the grass is not always greener i different pastures...........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom