Can you dive Pearl Harbor ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know, only U.S. Parks Dept. and U.S. Navy divers are allowed to dive Pearl, and then only for training or doing work.

When I was in the Navy there were "Do Not Swim-Hammerhead breeding area" signs posted all around Pearl. Now I'm all for diving with sharks, but large hammers in murky water is not my idea of good dive conditions.

I took the Navy hardhat diver test and they had us do the swim part of the trial in a pool, that might tell you something.

Some testament to that fact is, just a couple of years ago, I'm pretty sure it was here on the Scubaboard, someone posted some pics of a baby hammerhead they found at the North end of Waikiki, the closest end to Pearl Harbor. They had actually picked it up out of the water and were holding it.

The Arizona is still leaking fuel, even after all these years, and there is still LOTS of debis around the ship, in very murky water. So it is quite an unsafe dive for recreational divers. That is why it is a national memorial, the hazardous fuel conditions have made it nearly impossible to reclaim the remains of the men lost when the ship went down.

John Chatterton, of Shadow Divers fame, recently posted on his Facebook, some pics of him diving on the Arizona with the US Parks and US Navy divers for an up comming PBS show about possible submarine attacks during the attack on Pearl.

As far as I know, only U.S. Parks Dept. and U.S. Navy divers are allowed to dive Pearl, and then only for training or doing work.

When I was in the Navy there were "Do Not Swim-Hammerhead breeding area" signs posted all around Pearl. Now I'm all for diving with sharks, but large hammers in murky water is not my idea of good dive conditions.

I took the Navy hardhat diver test and they had us do the swim part of the trial in a pool, that might tell you something.

Some testament to that fact is, just a couple of years ago, I'm pretty sure it was here on the Scubaboard, someone posted some pics of a baby hammerhead they found at the North end of Waikiki, the closest end to Pearl Harbor. They had actually picked it up out of the water and were holding it.

The Arizona is still leaking fuel, even after all these years, and there is still LOTS of debis around the ship, in very murky water. So it is quite an unsafe dive for recreational divers. That is why it is a national memorial, the hazardous fuel conditions have made it nearly impossible to reclaim the remains of the men lost when the ship went down.

John Chatterton, of Shadow Divers fame, recently posted on his Facebook, some pics of him diving on the Arizona with the US Parks and US Navy divers for an up comming PBS show about possible submarine attacks during the attack on Pearl.

Oh how do you become a U.S. Navy Diver ?? My uncle is ignoring my questions about that

Oh how do you become a U.S. Navy Diver ?? My uncle is ignoring my questions about that

First you have to join the Navy...

Talk to a recruiter. :D

Eh seems like a lot of work. I think i might just stay with joining the USCG Divers. To me its a easy and cool job that still allows me to be in the USCG but allows me to take everything in a chill type of way.

i've dove it,,, you wouldn't like it unless you like 1 foot vis and come out covered with oil, and as many others have stated, it would be disrespectful to do a "fun dive" there, kinda like having a bbq party at the graveyard

i've dove it,,, you wouldn't like it unless you like 1 foot vis and come out covered with oil, and as many others have stated, it would be disrespectful to do a "fun dive" there, kinda like having a bbq party at the graveyard

YOU DOVE IT!!! No way i am so jealous. I honestly don't care about the visibility i just would like to be up close with history with out being held behind a glass box and i don't mind the oil its the price you pay for diving there LoL but all in all i want to dive it. How did you dive it DiveWestOahu where you a Navy Diver or did you get all the permits?? Please do tell...

Coron in the Palawan islands of the Philippines have sunken WW II wrecks. Quite a few from what I have read. There are video on you tube, do a search on Coron.

A friend that I taught to dive many years ago works for NPS as a marine archaeologist and has dived the Arizona on monitoring and other activities from time to time. He doesn't talk much about it, but when he does it is with a great reverence for the activity. I was at the Memorial a few years ago while on a dive trip to Hawaii. It is something to behold.

well good luck with that navy dive thing. if you have ever been envolved in the certification of a navy diver you know they do things abit different in the navy. they dont seem to have any problems crossing over to recreational diving but im wondering if a recreational diver might find the navy way a bit....um...different. one thing is for sure, they produce some solid divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom