Can you have too much gear ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was feeling really good about myself and my gear, but seeing the lists of what I "need" to have has left me feeling innadequate, :depressed: , oh well I must get my wallet out and start some urgent remedial therapy.

P

haha for real, i just stared combing ebay for new regs after reading this thread.

I too have some feeling of inadequacy after reading this thread.

But then again, I am an avid woodworker (35 years) and photographer (38 years), and have accumulated top end professional equipment for each. I've been previously diagnosed and come to terms with NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) and LAS (Leica Acquisition Syndrome). I am even selling off one of my five camera systems that I don't use much anymore to fund dive trips, so I feel in my heart I am making strides in my recovery. I've only been diving a couple of years, so I guess my inadequacy might be forgiven at this point.

I have done better in the UW photography world, and have managed in a brief time to have assembled a complete DSLR FX and Micro 4/3rds systems.

I am trying hard, though, to cure my shortcomings....just give me a little more time....a few more orders....I know I can do it.....

haha for real, i just stared combing ebay for new regs after reading this thread.

Do you need them?

The reason to acquire new equipment is to fill a need in your diving, not to compete with others in total gear acquisition. Some of the people who have posted here have way more gear than I do, but I also know that some of the people posting here have way more money than I do. My goal is to have all the gear I need and can afford, and none of the gear I don't need and can't afford. The hard part is knowing the difference.

Do I have too much gear?

2 backplates
4 wings
8 regulators
2 masks
3 sets of fins
1 Canister light
1 Headlight
3 torpedo lights
10 single tanks
4 sets of doubles
4 deco cylinders
1 Argon cylinder
2 bottom timers
1 computer
2 main reels
4 spools
2 SMBs
1 beacon
1 4 cfm compressor
1 Nitrox stick
4 gas analyzers
3 bank bottles
1 tank tumbler
1 Nikon camera/housing
2 strobes
3 lenses/ports
1 focus light
1 dry suit
4 wet suits
2 tank inspection lights
2 tank inspection probes
1 cylinder thread inspection light

A person cannot own too much dive gear. One can, however, have inadequate storage space.

30 cylinders
11 regulators
6 backplate/wings
1 sidemount rig
2 functioning drysuits (and 2 that are too worn out to use anymore)
3 functional drysuit undergarments (and 1 too worn out to use anymore)
3 wetsuits
5 pair of fins
4 prescription masks
3 cannister lights
7 backup lights
3 DSMBs
A goodie-bag full of spools and reels
1 scooter
4 dive computers
4 compasses
1 trimix analyzer
Another goodie-bag full of "toys" for AOW and Rescue classes
A $3500 save-a-dive kit
and about $6000 worth of underwater photography equipment

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The increasing amount of extra dive gear purchases I make is only superseded by the direct amount of verbal lip service I receive from my non-diving wife regarding said purchases. From past experiences I have come to realize that the lip service is steady, relentless and unending therefore I conclude dive gear additions should follow the same pattern. I dilligently strive to maintain a balance of these two.

If you are single by any chance I see no reason for a lot of extra dive gear. Coming up with creative ways to match and overcome the verbal lip service is half the fun of owning all that extra gear!

Items I want to have:
Oil less compressor
8 bank bottles(32%)
4 bank bottles (air)
4 bank bottles (4500psi He)
4 bank bottles (3500psi O2)
4 bank bottles (4500psi Ar)
2 stage Haskell
Trimix stick
Trimix analyzer
Co analyzer
Trailer to put the whole set up in.

That is just my mobile fill station. Tanks And gear would take way to long. Now I just need to win the lotto to buy it all at once.

A person cannot own too much dive gear. One can, however, have inadequate storage space.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Looking a little light here :D

oh crap, I even have the boat.....

---------- Post Merged at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:25 PM ----------

30 cylinders
11 regulators
6 backplate/wings
1 sidemount rig
2 functioning drysuits (and 2 that are too worn out to use anymore)
3 functional drysuit undergarments (and 1 too worn out to use anymore)
3 wetsuits
5 pair of fins
4 prescription masks
3 cannister lights
7 backup lights
3 DSMBs
A goodie-bag full of spools and reels
1 scooter
4 dive computers
4 compasses
1 trimix analyzer
Another goodie-bag full of "toys" for AOW and Rescue classes
A $3500 save-a-dive kit

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

think you could turn that into a Christmas jingle somehow....

---------- Post Merged at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:25 PM ----------

now, adding in the "vintage" collection....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom