Can you really have too much gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need a backup. It is requisite, that you have at least two of everything! ♊
Yes! If one is good, two is better! A personal motto of mine.

NEVER too much equipment, in fact, you can never have enough!!!!

That depends on who is carrying it. :wink:

Can you have too much cloths or shoes or underwear??

My lovely bride is living proof that you can.

Seriously, you can have to much when you are in the water. There comes a point where safety and backup gear becomes a physical burden that exceeds you ability to handle unforeseen problems. Multiple backup systems also complicates failure analysis. Don't be this guy:

1690726503733.png

My lovely bride is living proof that you can.

Can you tell her that?? :p

So I am a gear head and loves fiddling with equipment rn I dive Sidemount and I want a back mount set for the small dives or vacation and a back mount for dobbels when I go tech but now that I am starting to have alot of equipment it got me thinking can you have too much equipment? Anybody that have had way too Muche what's your experience.
If you configure your back mount doubles as independent doubles, then can you use the same cylinders for back mount that you use for side mount? If so, then this will reduce the number of cylinders you need to own and maintain. Maybe.

rx7diver

If you have to put helper springs on your F-250, you might have too much gear.
If you have to trade your 12' trailer for a 16' one, you might have too much gear.
If you leave your wife's new Buick in the driveway because the garage is full of dive stuff, you might have much gear.
If you cancel your homeowners insurance to buy a rebreather, you might have too much gear.
If you cash in your kids college bond to get another Suex, you might have too much gear.
If the local dive shop calls you to borrow rental stuff, you might have too much gear.

Yes, you can have too much equipment. Just ask my wife.

you absolutely can have too much gear. Anything that needs to be recertified to sit in my garage is too much. I have five tanks. 2 for me, 2 for my kid and one for my vintage regulator. I have two regs that are well serviced and consistently used. I have out dated stuff that I can pull out, and use for parts or loaners, but, I would rather have stuff I enjoy rather than stuff I collect.

Five tanks. Amateur. Come back when there's 30 of the things after they've all bred together -- suspect they've had a massive bunga-bunga party and not invited me!

you absolutely can have too much gear. ...
I agree, absolutely! As I approach retirement, I think a lot about the unnecessary (no longer necessary) gear I own. I decided last year to begin parting with some of it: I succeeded in selling three Catalina Al 6 argon drysuit inflation cylinders last year. But then I got too busy at work, again, to continue my efforts at "downsizing."

I need to let go of my single OMS (Faber) LP121/125--since I now will never purchase a second one (to double up for OC tri-mix dives to 300 fsw). I listed this cylinder for sale here last year, IIRC, but I never bumped that FS thread.

And I need to let go of my two PST HP120's (3,500 psig)--since I almost certainly (97.5%) will never again double these up for diving OC to ~200 fsw on Great Lakes shipwrecks. (My lingering desire to dive Tobermory, Canada, shipwrecks explains that stubborn 2.5%.)

And no longer doing Great Lakes deco dives would mean I would no longer have a need for my two Luxfer Al 40's.

And I should let go of my two, lovely HP80's (3,500 psig), since an old-school 72 better suits the type of local diving I do now (when I dive a single cylinder, that is). Getting rid of these HP80's will come with some heartbreak, though, since they are my very first cylinders, purchased new c. 1988.

And once I no longer have HP cylinders that might see 4,000 psig fills, then I no longer will have a need for my 2.5 Poseidon Odin's (300 Br, cold water regs). My several Scubapro Mk10 + D400/G250/BA regs are perfect for my local diving here in MO and AR using LP cylinders.

And, ever since purchasing a pair of Faber LP50's last year to use as baby doubles, I no longer have a need for the pair of OMS (Faber) LP46's that I purchase new c. 1994, my very first deco cylinders. (I will hold on to a third LP46, though, to use for emergency oxygen.)

These past couple of days, I have been moving stuff around, digging out bits and pieces of my B&W darkroom stuff that have been boxed up for a couple of decades. (See Question - Non-diving Camera. That 85mm lens purchase led almost immediately to a second, "grail" lens purchase!) Getting rid of this unnecessary (no longer necessary) scuba gear, would free up some much needed real estate!

rx7diver

... now that I am starting to have alot of equipment it got me thinking can you have too much equipment? Anybody that have had way too Muche what's your experience.
Mods, ban this person immediately for spouting such offensive ideas! He just skipped insulting my mother and went straight for the jugular.

Just uncalled for. :oops: :p :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom