Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the new instructors that get me. Take them out on the boat and they dive....and that's it. Can they dock the boat, gas it up, set the anchor....haul the anchor, find the spot without a buoy, use a gps, drive the boat without beating the hell out of everyone on a choppy day, change a leaking O ring, fix a mask that the lense fell out of, watch out that you don't chop up a diver with the prop.......instructors...worthless.....haha. (I just had to throw this out there)

Even if it is you, and you are new to diving... a new diver is not expected to know all of the in's & out's & proper etiquette of boat diving. A "GOOD" DM will be/should be helpful in that area so that you can become more experienced.

Apparently Scuba-Girl doesn't thinks everyone should know everything even if they have not experienced it yet. But she's not the only one.

I like diving with new divers.

I like helping people too. I look forward to the day that I can pass my experiences (good and bad) to divers that are newer than me.

Well she can always go for her solo diver cert then she wont have to worry about anyone else!

I do a lot of local SoCal diving. That means the boat crew is there to help, if needed but no to babysit or coddle us. We get no help in loading our gear on or off the boat. No guided dives, no gate time limits.

However, if I am on vacation, spending extra money on an exotic dive trip, tipping like a drunken sailor, then yes, haul my gear, lug the tanks around, wait on me and make me feel like the price I paid and the tip I left were worth it.

Remember, your local diving may be my vacation diving. Be sure and figure that out before you pass judgment.

A whole lot of people have read my who is responsible thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ering-diving/283566-who-responsible-what.html and know my feelings about it pretty well. Having said that, I am offended by this post. .
While I do not care to be buddied up with instabuddies or told I cannot dive, if they themselves are honest about their skills and abilities and ask me if they can dive with me, I will most likely agree. Unless I have specific plan that involves something that may be beyond their recommended level or get the idea that they are unsafe in some way I don't have a problem with em.

Lately some of my most fun dives have been with newer divers or with those who have been diving awhile but are not at the same level as most of the people I usually dive with. I also do alot of solo dives and unless there is a safety issue that usually means that vacation divers who posess less than optimal skills levels don't bother me. I just stay away from them and do my own thing unless they ask for my help. Then I make money.

But to come on here with this attitude and if it is directed towards one person is cowardly, childish, and bitchy. Someone needs a chill pill. I have dove with those who need assistance in carrying their gear, help in and out of the water, and due to some disability even setting it up. I have had students that were just not strong enough to trip a standard cam band, but give em a scbuapro type or biolock and they were fine.

Now there are some valid points but they are not made very well. If you need babysat then no you should be doing easy dives with a buddy who knows this or with the help if a private professional. Either that or get more training and work up to the harder dives. As to the other issues I've covered those adnauseum on here and not gonna do it now. There is also a difference between cannot do something and just plain to damn lazy to.

ANd finally if you need help getting your butt on the boat(ladies only) and it's nice enough( pics required:eyebrow:) , I'll gladly help. As well as getting into and out of wetsuits. Guys you're on your own!

I would really like to know the story behind this one since it seems to be awfully personal.:popcorn::popcorn:

at the risk of ensuring my ban:

Here is OP's info from her intro post earlier this year bold and underline added:

Hello everyone! Been a ScubaBoard member for eons and just never think to come on and plunder. Been diving for many years...many dives. Middle aged and loving it! I live near Tampa and have a wonderful group of friends near the Ft. Lauderdale area I love diving with. They've recently encouraged me to become involved here. I love life..I love to dive..and I love to talk about diving. Padi Master Scuba Diver Trainer (inactive)

Take me diving!

PS I'm not knocking Padi - just the inactive part

Padi Master Scuba Diver Trainer (inactive)

There is a huge difference between Master diver and Dive master! so I wonder which she really is??

An instructor with a problem of Newbies needing help......:grouphug:.......can't we all just get along? Love one another? :vomit:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom