Cancun to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,
I know this question has been asked before, but I can't find the thread anywhere. What are the options for going from the airport in Cancun to PDC to take the ferry to Cancun? I was thinking of taking the bus. I heard it was cheap and convenient. I am going the 12th to the 17th of October. Is that an OK month to dive there? What kind of water temp should I expect?

There's a bus from the airport; the last time I took it it cost about $7 (I think). As you leave the airport, turn right and way down at the end of the terminal you'll see some buses. Any time of year is great in Cozumel; have fun! I'd expect water temps in the low/mid 80s.

Depending on your arrival, plan on about 3 hrs to get through customs, catch the bus, wait for the ferry, and finally make it to Coz. It's not that far, but it always seems to take that long.

mattboy:
There's a bus from the airport; the last time I took it it cost about $7 (I think). As you leave the airport, turn right and way down at the end of the terminal you'll see some buses. Any time of year is great in Cozumel; have fun! I'd expect water temps in the low/mid 80s.

Depending on your arrival, plan on about 3 hrs to get through customs, catch the bus, wait for the ferry, and finally make it to Coz. It's not that far, but it always seems to take that long.

Thanks mattboy, I didn't know it takes that long to clear customs!

It seems to average about an hour for me from the time my plane lands until I'm out the door of the airport running the gauntlet of cab drivers, luggage carriers, and tour operators. Then at least an hour until you're at the ferry terminal running another gauntlet of T-shirt salesmen and more luggage porters, unless you were lucky to time it just right with the bus departure. If you're not diving on your arrival day it's no big deal, and of course you wouldn't be diving on your departure day, so as long as your Cancun flight to the U.S. isn't too early, also no biggie.

mattboy:
It seems to average about an hour for me from the time my plane lands until I'm out the door of the airport running the gauntlet of cab drivers, luggage carriers, and tour operators. Then at least an hour until you're at the ferry terminal running another gauntlet of T-shirt salesmen and more luggage porters, unless you were lucky to time it just right with the bus departure. If you're not diving on your arrival day it's no big deal, and of course you wouldn't be diving on your departure day, so as long as your Cancun flight to the U.S. isn't too early, also no biggie.

I should be arriving about 12:20p if all goes according to plan. I saw a link about various transports to PDC from the airport a couple of days ago, but now it's dissapeared. It mentioned an airport shuttle to the docks that, if full, only costs about 10 or 12 dollars. Have you heard about or seen such an animal?

Nope, just the bus. The buses are somewhat timed to arrive in time to catch the ferry, so I kind of doubt the shuttle would save time, unless you just missed a bus and the shuttle would get you to the same ferry. Somewhere on this forum someone has posted a ferry schedule for sure; you'll have to search. But, I'll take a guess and say you could catch a 3:00 ferry for sure if there's one, probably not a 2:00 unless you're fast getting through customs.

Thanx, I've seen the ferry and the bus schedules. Yea, it looks like it will be the way to go.

shaggie:
Thanx, I've seen the ferry and the bus schedules. Yea, it looks like it will be the way to go.

It is very hard to estimate how long it will take you to clear Customs in Caucun. Everything depends on how many planes are arriving at about the same time you are. This is one difference between flying into CUN vs CZM; there is much less traffic at Cozumel and only rarely have I experienced another flight arriving at nearly the same time as mine.

I agree, it would be better in some ways to fly direct to CZM but since the airline I work for goes to CUN and not CZM......

Back
Top Bottom