Canon G9 / Nikon SB105

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luv2dive4pics

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, now that I have determined that the Canon G9, in manual mode, does not do a preflash I am hoping to use my existing Nikon SB105 in slave mode as my primary flash. Does anyone have any suggestions making this setup work? Where can I get a cap to seal off the sync cable connector on the strobe housing and where can I find an optic sync cable for this setup.

I am hoping to make this setup work til I can break down and justify that I need a TTL strobe to replace the SB105. The 105 proved to be a great strobe when I was shooting with my Nikonos.... Thanks

I am going to purchase the Ikelite housing to be able to upgrade ports, strobe, accessory lens at a later date...

Take advantage of G9's hotshoe and hardwire the SB-105 to the housing. Hardwiring will be a much more reliable system than going optical, which will drain the camera’s batteries real quick because the camera’s internal flash is always firing.

The cord connector is from Ikelite and the hotshoe adapter from B&H Photo, cost is about 15 to $20 each. You would need to cut the camera end of the Nikonos strobe cord then feed it through the cord connector then splice the hotshoe adapter to the strobe trigger wires.

I did this on an Olympus housing and a Ikelite strobe, works just fine. The SB105 is a high quality strobe and is fairly cheap on ebay.

Attachments

• 4006conn.gif
    4006conn.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 89982.jpg
    89982.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 45
  • bb34_12.jpg
    bb34_12.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 3f90_1.jpg
    3f90_1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 41
Thanks so much for the input and suggestion...I'll have to keep you posted on my progress..

I have used the same strobe on a Canon S70 in Canon housing. I just blocked off the internal flash with Silver foil and let the spill fire the external strobe. Worked fine 95% of the time.

Any optical fibre will trigger the strobe, tape the fibre through the hole in Nikonos diffuser and the other end to the internal flash.

You will need to set the Nikonos to slave mode

Thanks for the continued support on this idea.. I just bought a screw on plug for the strobe to cover the sync cord connection. Next I am going to look for the optic cable. I am actually not concerned about the flash from the camera as I will probably make a black plexi replacement for the diffuser on the Canon case if I go that route. I a still trying to see if Ikelite makes a sync cord for their case to the SB105.. that would solve all my problems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom