Cant See!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched to the Atomic Cobalt computer because even with my bifocal contacts when the light was poor (usually down deep exactly when I really want to see my gauge) I had trouble reading my other AI computer.

I have the same problem - my hands are too short to read my wrist computer. Thanks for the ideas how to deal with this. However, it didn't become fully clear for me - can I install optical lenses in my mask (Oceanic Titan) or better to order a mask with lenses from the maker?

Laser eye surgery
my wife's answer to the issue was lazik, and she swears by it.
Laser eye surgery or Lazik only corrects for distance vision, like single-correction (non-bifocal) glasses or contacts. It does not correct for presbyopia, which is the loss in range of accommodation (ability to adjust between focusing on near and far objects) that accompanies aging. I would expect that a person age 50+ who gets Lasik would still need reading glasses.

In my case, I wear bifocals but for diving I have been happily using an inexpensive ($80) off-the-shelf prescription mask from SnorkelMart. Works fine for me, and not too expensive to replace if lost. I have a Suunto Cobra 3 dive computer and the digits are big enough for me to read without a bifocal inset if I hold it at least 10 inches away (I'm 52 years old). I would not use a computer with smaller digits like the Suunto D6, because I would find this hard to read.

There are variants like PresbyLASIK but based on a quick look I would not sign up for that.

if you can wear contacts do. I wear the bifocal type and have had no problems

I too, wear contacts (the multifocal type) while diving. I had a prescription mask (which worked OK, but not as well as contacts) until I lost it then it didn't work at all.

- Bill

Being over 50 I wear +2.00 drugstore glasses to read. I wanted the "perfect" solution for diving and have tried several things from the stick on bifocals to special lens. None of these solutions were great. A lot of times I would see double images with the bifocal lens and this seems to be a common problem.

I went to my eye doctor and told him I read about these progressive contacts. He said they work ok from some people but not all and suggested I try a single +1.75 disposable contact in my non-dominant eye. I first tried the progressive contacts and for me they were horrible so I decided to try the single contact. I did not really like it but he said give it some time and it was certainly better than the progressive contacts. I wore them for a total of 1 day before my dive trip.

I took 30 of these single day lenses to Bonaire last week to try them out. Like I said out of water I did not like them that much but on my first dive I was absolutely amazed. It was like I was not wearing a contact at all. I could see near and far naturally( no sense of a difference between eyes) which was not the case on land. I could see my gauges clear as day and I could even use my digital camera with no problems(prior to this it was very difficult to use since I could not see the image or settings). Not only could I see up close but could also see mid and far distance as well.

Since they were disposable I took my mask off to see what would happen. The contact stayed in my eye but I only tried this once.

This is the perfect solution for me and I hope this helps someone else.

Lasik eye surgery called "mono-vision"... They correct your dominate eye to 20/15 and your other eye to 20/40. It has worked for me for 15+ years.

"Living life without a hard bottom"
KT

I wear prescription glasses,but I need to adjust them up or down my nose depending on what I'm looking at.my mask is also a prescription but for obvious reasons I can't move it up or down my nose, and have trouble seeing.any solutions to this?

Fwiw, I am 57, nearsighted, and need bifocals now. I use monovision contacts (disposable) and they work well for me. But for my dive mask and swim goggles - I have optic lenses (not custom prescription) a little less strong than my prescription, so I can read the gauges and also see respectably far. For example, my prescription is about -3.5, so I put -2 in my mask. Works great and not as expensive as prescription.

Back
Top Bottom