Captain Don vs Buddy's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andyoctopus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Considering taking my 15 year old son to Bonaire for a week. Both of us have AOW but truth is we only dive once a year on an annual father son diving trip so total dives is 50 each.

Can anyone give me a rundown on Captain Don's vs Buddy's?

Much appreciated in advance.

I don't mean to sound short or snotty but the best way to find what you want for you and your son will be pull up both web sites and compare what you are looking for. They are side by side so there isn't a big travel difference but if you're looking for assistance from the dive crew I can only speak for Buddy's. I like them and they always seem to be able to go the extra mile for us. Do a search on here also, there should be a lot of info available. Sorry this doesn't help more but outside of room and meal cost I really can't speak good or bad about Cap'n Don. Only good about Buddy's.

Considering taking my 15 year old son to Bonaire for a week. Both of us have AOW but truth is we only dive once a year on an annual father son diving trip so total dives is 50 each.

Can anyone give me a rundown on Captain Don's vs Buddy's?

Well, I haven't stayed at Buddy's, but my wife and I both liked Capt. Dons. We stayed a week there, last August and another dive buddy and I return to Don's this August. I am an experienced diver/instructor, and my wife is AOW with about 500 dives under her belt. What I enjoyed the most is the laid back style at Don's. YOU are responsible for your diving, so don't expect hand holding, OR a divemaster on every dive you must follow. For new divers, don't worrry in Bonaire. If you do mostly shore diving (as opposed to the six boat dives normally included in most packages), the shore runs north-south with a drop off around 40 feet. Be careful to enter at the yellow stone markers for each site, use a dive marker at your start point, and navigate from it back to your truck on shore... very easy.
Buddys is right next door to Don's. You can throw a rock and hit it. You can also dive over there, and eat at their snack bar. If you are looking for luxury accomodations... don't stay at either place! These are "dive hotels" and as such occasionally have a salt smell around the rooms, etc., but they keep the rooms very clean and try to accomodate your needs.
Make your first night dive at their "house reef". The restaurant at Don's is much nicer, and the prices are reasonable. Nitrox is available at either place, but normally you pay $120 a week for it at Don's (I negotiated a reduced price this time in my package). I have heard of light fills at Buddy's, and did not experience that at Don's since a guage is available right wherre you pick up the tanks. Always check your O rings every time, no matter where you book your trip :) You will love Bonair diving! Rhino

Some dive op.s at Bonaire tend to have nitrox included (such as by a 'free upgrade' perhaps). If memory serves, I believe it's a 'pay for' option at Captain Don's. So if you price compare, be sure you're comparing the same thing. There have been comparison discussions in other threads, such as who's got the best food, etc...

I've stayed at Buddy's once. I like that they picked us up at the airport, our rental truck was at Buddy's, breakfast buffet was included (with a decent variety; I was happy), and at the end they hauled us & our luggage back to the airport, so coming & going were fairly easy. After hours tank availability was pretty much limited to house reef diving, or what you'd put in the back or your truck during regular hours, so if you're going night or evening diving off-site, get your tanks early enough.

I don't know how Captain Don's stacks up to that.

Richard.

There are proponents and detractors from each, I can only speak to Capt Don's as I was there for a week in February of this year. Going back next Feb. Our LDS runs at least one trip there every year for the last 10-12 years. I had a blast and really love the laid back diving style. Easiest diving I've done since CoCo View in Roatan. Food was good, rooms are clean, had WiFi most everywhere. The included breakfast was nice. We did the 2 boat dive a day package and got to spots we couldn't have driven to, > 1/2 of them on Klein. I'm really looking forward to going back and bringing my wife along this time!

Are you looking at them to stay and dive or just dive. We have dove with Capt Don's twice but stayed at Coral Paradise next door. Never stayed at either but have walked around them both and ate at both. Can't really comment other than from just visiting the places look about the same. As far as the diving, the house reefs are right next to each other and you will probably dive both reefs regardless of which you choose and both reefs are very nice. We liked the set up at Capt Don's for diving. You can leave stuff in a locker right off the dock with showers and rinse tanks. The rentals are all scubapro and plenty of tanks. My then 12 and 15 year olds got certified at Capt Don's and we had a great instructor and the set up and reefs were great for them. I suspect it will be similar at Buddys. We liked that there were plenty of smaller tanks, 63s and some 50s. I think the thing we liked the best at Capt Dons is the way they do their boat diving. We usually do some boat dives and they have a chart on the wall and they list the day before where their next day boat dives are going. All you do to sign up is put your dive number on the trip and show up. If you want to change your mind, just take your number of the board, even if it is just before the trip. Very easy. Very flexible. Boat dives to Klein and to some other site worth it. You should be able to find much on SB re Capt Dons and Buddys and as far as accomodations I have to defer to those who have stayed their. I think you will probably be happy diving at either.

We stayed at Capt Don's in April, room was large, clean and AC worked well. We ate the breakfast buffet, skipped lunch and usually ate dinner in town. The meals we did eat at the resort were pretty good.

The shore diving right off the dock was outstanding. We didn't feel the need for boat diving. The shore dIving on Bonaire is rated by the difficulty of the entry, not the dive itself. My favorites are Hilma Hooker and Oil Slick.

The great thing about diving bonaire is most dive sites slope very gradually to 15-20 ft, then the slope increases as you reach the reef. Most places you reach sand at 80-90 ft, in others it goes deeper. You can pick your depth based on your comfort level. The sand in front of both Buddys and Capt Dons is about 130.

P1010301.jpgP1010291.jpgHave stayed at both many times.Prefer Buddys..Rental truck included in dive/drive package with 6 boat dives and unlimited shore diving.Nitrox is free. Breakfast buffet included. I just returned last Saturday and took 19 people there. All had a great time, both the new ones who never dove there to some that have been there 4+ times. You may be able to negotiate a package for 50% off resort restaurant at this time of year. I negotiated a DEMA special with all I listed and 9 boat dives. Most if not all the rooms have just been renovated and I have to say they look great. No smell , no bugs, air conditioning worked very well. Food at their restaurant has improved from last year and service was fairly fast.

You might want to try jumping on bonairetalk.com. Lots of info on just everything you need to know about your trip there. Have fun. It is a great place to dive and have fun.

If you're shore diving Buddy's has the drive-thru tank pickup. I think you can also stay at Caribbean Club or BelMar in Belnem and use it since their dive operations are affiliated. All three are linked on the main Buddy's website.

For shore diving at other sites - at Capt' Don's does anyone know if you have to carry tanks up the ramp from the locker area? That might get old fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom