Captain Lost Our Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do know that Christi is offline this week for a family emergency?

I don't understand the questions maybe? I thought it'd been well covered, explained, and resolved.

Beating_a_dead_horse (Small).jpg

I guess it would be nice to know if they ended up in Chankanaab or San Juan.

Did they drift & swim a few miles or 10's of miles?

How close were they to missing the island?

The site where they started was Punta Tunich, mayan for Punta Piedras or point of stone in english.

Why the Mystery?

There is no mystery, just someone pounding away on an inconsequential detail. Have you ever been to Cozumel? If you had, you would know that there was virtually no chance of them missing the island. The dive site is less than a mile offshore and 10 miles or more from the horn of the island at San Juan.

But I wasn't there. I guess it's possible that they stumbled on the den of international criminals who threatened them with their lives if they ever revealed to a living soul where they came ashore. I doubt it, though. :D

You do know that Christi is offline this week for a family emergency?

I don't understand the questions maybe? I thought it'd been well covered, explained, and resolved.
Because she said so. #171 on Pg 18. And I think cvchief's post, #178, pretty much sums up this thread. Christi has been back to this thread several times and has given whatever information she had. Anyone still asking more questions either hasn't read her post saying she's provided all the details she had, or they don't have much else to do and will soon be asking about what fins everyone was wearing...

---------- Post Merged at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:48 AM ----------

They were floating for 55 minutes, can't find how long their dive lasted before that, but figuring an average current (2-3 knots?), it seems unlikely they drifted for tens of miles or were close to missing the island....
1 knot = 1 nautical mph. 1 nmph = 1.15 land miles. If it was even 2 knots, they would have been drifting at a rate of about 2.3 mph, but I doubt it was that fast. Most of the time we overestimate the speed of the current we're diving in. The faster sites in Cozumel are usually still under 2 knots, more like 1- 1.5 I think. If they drifted just under an hour they likely ended up about a mile from where they surfaced before the DM made the decision to swim for shore.

I guess it would be nice to know if they ended up in Chankanaab or San Juan.

Did they drift & swim a few miles or 10's of miles?

How close were they to missing the island?

The site where they started was Punta Tunich, mayan for Punta Piedras or point of stone in english.

Why the Mystery?

Why does it matter so much exactly where they ended up? There's nowhere I can imagine surfacing on a Tunich dive that would be impossible to swim to shore if need be. They wouldn't be beaten against rocks or cut up on coral along the way. Drifting a mile or even 2, they would be nowhere near missing the island. The only time that could be a concern is if you're diving one of the northern sites, the current is very strong and on surfacing you're left for hours. Diving anywhere in the marine park, even in the strongest current you could find on a really fast day in Cozumel, you would still never be in a position of "missing the island" before you could make it to shore.

Have you ever been to Cozumel? If you had, you would know that there was virtually no chance of them missing the island.

I first traveled to Cozumel in 1969. I have been taking groups there for 30 years. As I posted before, this past May I did afternoon dives at Tunich.

How many divers do you think have ever been "lost" in Cozumel?

Yes, most of them were lost North of town.

Yes, you can be lost and miss the island from any dive site in Cozumel.

My questions are not about Christi or her operation as I posted before.

My questions are about " Captain lost our group " and how to deal with this dilemma.

Mysteries always bring more questions.

Did they reach shore before or after sunset?

I first traveled to Cozumel in 1969. I have been taking groups there for 30 years. As I posted before, this past May I did afternoon dives at Tunich.

How many divers do you think have ever been "lost" in Cozumel?

Yes, most of them were lost North of town.

Yes, you can be lost and miss the island from any dive site in Cozumel.

My questions are not about Christi or her operation as I posted before.

My questions are about " Captain lost our group " and how to deal with this dilemma.

Mysteries always bring more questions.

Did they reach shore before or after sunset?
Since nobody who's still looking at this thread has your answer, why not just PM the original poster? You seem to be the only one seeing this as a big mystery and having questions about it.

IMO, you'd have to be in current stronger than you'd find in Cozumel, and in the water for a very long time before you'd drift past the northern tip of the island if you were diving any site in the marine park. Could it happen? Anything could happen, in theory. Would it happen? Extremely unlikely. It's nearly improbable.

Since nobody who's still looking at this thread has your answer, why not just PM the original poster? You seem to be the only one seeing this as a big mystery and having questions about it.

It seems to me as though beaverdivers is just interested in stirring the pot. I'm not sure why he feels he has an axe to grind, but it should be pretty obvious at this point that's what's going on.

IMO, you'd have to be in current stronger than you'd find in Cozumel, and in the water for a very long time before you'd drift past the northern tip of the island if you were diving any site in the marine park. Could it happen? Anything could happen, in theory. Would it happen? Extremely unlikely. It's nearly improbable.

Exactly. And how does some who claims to "have been taking groups there for 30 years" not understand this?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I've deleted a couple of off-topic posts...a sure sign that a thread is starting to run out of gas. Please stay on topic and keep comments friendly or step away from the keyboard. Thank you.

They dove Punta Tunich and then floated down to somewhere over Tormentos before swimming for shore. Pedro and his divers were picked up after about 35 minutes. Another 20 minutes passed by the time everyone got on board, gear was situated and they found Miguel and his divers very close to shore at Playa Corona. Looks to be a few miles in the water before they hit Playa Corona and a good 10 miles away from Punta Norte. This info is from Pedro himself as I've been diving with him for two weeks now.

And for the record, every time I've surfaced I have slowly rotated 360 degrees and have always seen Nivo heading straight for me without having to make a second rotation.

I hesitated in posting this because of the many people on this board who like to pick every nit until it becomes a huge cancerous lesion. This is all I have to say on the matter as I don't wish to debate whether it was 54 and a half minutes or 55 minutes or if it was 10 nautical miles or 9.5 statute miles or 9.75 miles as the eagle ray swims.

For those of you with no life, have at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom