Car keys and other small items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a spare key (without the electronic car unlocker) that I put inside a small case. I clip the case to a a string on my undergarment and put the case inside my undergarment pocket (I'm wearing a drysuit). The string lets me pull the case out of my pocket when the drysuit is unzipped.

Since the case has an o-ring, I guess I could clip it to my BCD, but I prefer it to be dry.

I keep an un-chipped spare key on a string in the console of my truck. When I dive I lock my electronc keys,wallet,cell phone and anything else I dont want stolen under the back seat and wear the spare that only opens the doors around my neck. By the way I have tried those little water proof box's and lets just say that I got lucky the alarm and door remote electronics were waterproof themselves though I would not try it again. Most of those little boxes are only waterproof to about 10 feet

Just as the two preceeding post...unchipped key clipped to your vest. I have a keyless entry as well (keypad) so I keep the key inside and use the keypad to regain access to my vehicle

Just as the two preceeding post...unchipped key clipped to your vest. I have a keyless entry as well (keypad) so I keep the key inside and use the keypad to regain access to my vehicle

I have the key pad on my car, never used it. Can't remember the code. HAHAHAHAHAHA

I do not see the point in diving with keys normally. Keys on a boat can stay on the boat. When shore diving I put them on a tire, or often there are folks who are staying near our spot that will keep an eye open. I do keep a spare key vs. fob so if need be I put a key in my drysuit UW pocket but that is rare.

My key has a chip in it so I had a key made that did not have a chip to take underwater. This key can open the door but not start the truck. I thread the ring through the mesh pocket of my swim suit so there is no chance it can be lost. Everything else including the key to start the truck is locked in the cab.

As I understand them, chipped car keys have nothing in them that would be damaged by water. Sure, given time they rust, like anything else, but that is what rinse tanks are for. I'm not talking about your key fob, just the door key. Is there any actual reason to think water will hurt them?

As I understand them, chipped car keys have nothing in them that would be damaged by water. Sure, given time they rust, like anything else, but that is what rinse tanks are for. I'm not talking about your key fob, just the door key. Is there any actual reason to think water will hurt them?

I do not know if the chip can be damaged by salt water so I do not take the chance and spent the buck and change to have a copy made.

I leave mine with the dive shop operator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom