Carrying aluminum 80's around?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive buddy and I have several tanks of varying sizes and hauling them in the back of the truck without rolling around is an issue. I made these contraptions. They hold two tanks at a time. They also stack on one another, using latches to keep them together (the one on the right is a spacer between stacks). The one on the left is designed for short tanks or longer ones. It also has brackets so it can be on the bottom of a stack and 2x4's used to brace it on the bed of the truck. I've got a couple of more for twins and fatter 120's. Easy enough to make out of 2x4 or 2x6. Felt padding where the tanks go. Used a jig saw to cut the semi-circles.

showgallery.php

TeamCasa - What kind of boxes are those? That's a great idea!

Thanks, Its a Stanley and most Home Depot or Lowes have them.

Dave

I have a rather bizarre method of carrying my tank when I visit the Springs and lakes here in Florida. I simply use my BC or Back Plate & Wings. I set up in the parking lot and walk on down and then walk right in! If I need a second tank, I walk back and put another one in. I leave nothing on the bank to be stolen and find that no matter how tall or short you are, your back is the absolutely best way to transport that kind of weight! :D

If I am doing a boat dive, I park close enough where two tanks just don't matter.

Along the same lines if we are doing a dive where we need to get down a slope or other wise cover some terrain We will start by setting up our rigs. Then while still in solid street shoes don the rig and get it down to the entry point. Then we go back to suit up and rejoin our gear at the entry point. It works good in a trusted site.

those rollling carts with tanks on top......absolutelty the way to go.
HOWEVER. most dive boats wont let you bring the carryall on board, so your back to lugging your stuff a bit at a time again.
either way,...... a bump in the road.
DIVER DOWN!

Just to clear up something. My lovely bride and I frequent the Catalina Island Dive Park. To get there we take the ferry from Long Beach. In order to get the gear from my truck to the ferry, from the ferry to the park and back, requires a significant amount of walking. When at the park, when diving, the gear not taken underwater is left alone in the park.

The other side benefit of the rolling tool chest is that it can be locked and secured. Having said that, theft of topside gear is almost non existent. The other divers are constantly on the lookout for non-divers poking around in people stuff. But for me, better safe than sorry. These chests are becoming more and more popular at the dive park. I do not take credit for first using them.

As for boat diving, I use an Akona rolling gear bag. Tank over the shoulder.

Dave

TeamCasa,

What did you use to harness the tank to the case?

Two cam straps.

DSC02738Sml.JPG

Back
Top Bottom