casa del mar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hotel Cozumel is reopening Nov 15th. I figure that even if they do have delays, it's my best chance for my Dec 9th trip. I sent them an email yesterday and was pleasantly shocked to have a reply within 10 mintues! And, the reservations manager suggested I not book directly with the hotel, but go through Travelocity or another internet site where I'd get a better deal the hotel could offer. I hadn't planned to stay at a resort type place, but I'm looking forward to the trip and to diving in Coz.

scubawife:
Hotel Cozumel is reopening Nov 15th. I figure that even if they do have delays, it's my best chance for my Dec 9th trip. I sent them an email yesterday and was pleasantly shocked to have a reply within 10 mintues! And, the reservations manager suggested I not book directly with the hotel, but go through Travelocity or another internet site where I'd get a better deal the hotel could offer. I hadn't planned to stay at a resort type place, but I'm looking forward to the trip and to diving in Coz.

That was probably a much better option...the place is built strong like a bomb shelter and had only minor damage... I have stayed there on the last 4 trips and liked it. It's also closer to town. I hope you enjoy your diving. Be sure to post a report when you return.

I have never been subject to such rudeness divingnthedark. I am a member of several boards and have never run across a comment directly to someone like that. I know the photos don't look good, but they are recovering faster than Key West and the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area. Sorry it took me so long to reply everyone!!

Scubawife, Ms. Ann Thorpe and Smokey Braden~
I will refer you to some sources for information that are constantly being updated. Del Mar Aquatics is like family to me and Casa Del Mar my second home.

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelWilmaComeBack.htm

http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/hurricane.php

First, Del Mar Aquatics IS open NOW with working phones 011-52-987-872-5949 and will be operating the same as many other shops that have lost their piers and shops will. They will be transporting customers by taxi's to the marina for loading and departure of the boats. Del Mar Aquatics is scheduled to rebuild their shop and pier starting Dec 16. This is first hand information from one of the dive masters whom I am good friends with.

Second, the hotel's damage as far as the rooms isn't as bad as the outside damage. From everything I have read they are to be open by Christmas and I have seen an earlier date of December 15 that was updated as of 11/8/2005. I would expect this to be true.

If anyone would like a full blown news letter that was sent to me from The Village Tan Kah (next door to Casa Del Mar) I would be happy to forward it to your email if you send me a private message requesting me to do so.

Also visit this first hand account of the hurricane from Jadie who was there with three wonderful guys I met from TN. I returned home 10/17 (just days before the hurricane) and they rode it out and were there a week after! You will see from their story just how wonderful the staff at Casa Del Mar is!!!

I am returning to the island 12/25-1/4 and will not be making any changes to my travel plans.

sdvrgirl, thanks for the first hand info update! Much appreciated. I'd been watching the reports, but Casa del Mar was one of the last to be listed. We were really looking forward to our first stay at Casa del Mar. We don't go for large resorty type spots, and it looked perfect for us. Our travel dates for Dec aren't flexible, so I had to book another hotel. Not much open early Dec, so we are at Hotel Cozumel. Although it wasn't even on my list, I'm just glad that we'll be in Coz and diving!!!!!

I read this weekend on the cometocozumel update, as well as a message from Katie (Casa del Mar employee?) to Island Dreams, that the hotel has changed it's planned reopening from Dec 15 to Feb 1. The hotel buildings didn't look to be that bad at all, but the road, grounds and dive shop were in bad shape. I'd bet it takes longer to properly restore all the utilities and services then repair the buildings.

sdvrgirl,
thank you very much for this additional info.
please don't let diventhedark upset you.
i've noticed on this board sometimes people forget to be polite.
we had such a good time at casa del mar that i'm sure our next trip to coz we will be staying there.
regards,

I received an email today from Casa del Mar regarding my Dec reservation (which is obviously cancelled). Lidia stated that the reopening date is Feb 1 and that they are ready to take reservations for arrivals anytime after Feb 1.

scubawife:
I received an email today from Casa del Mar regarding my Dec reservation (which is obviously cancelled). Lidia stated that the reopening date is Feb 1 and that they are ready to take reservations for arrivals anytime after Feb 1.
I statyed at Casa Del Mar this past Jan/Feb and looking at this picture the pier, the wall, and the dive shop are gone. I have pictures with all there and this pic shows all gone.
View attachment 24466

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom