Cave Diving Training Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know if there are any NAUI cave instructors in Mexico? A search on the NAUI website didn't come up with any "technical training centers", but I suspect that doesn't mean there aren't any instructors.

German Yanez, on Cozumel. He's a NAUI cave instructor trainer for Cave 1. He'll have a list of NAUI cave instructors.

Yucatech Expeditions.

Also, Lynne, there are more NAUI cave instructors than I thought, several instructors from the NACD and NSS-CDS were grandfathered into NAUI.

Thanks for all the info guys. From what i have been reading about the GUE course people who take it really swear by it. Do you think it is worth it? Is the quality and course content that different from the other cave courses?

Zerogravity, since you're down there, take a drive down to PA and drop in at Zero Gravity and talk to the guys there. Maybe see if you can do a guided dive or something. Ask them about how they teach, and why they teach the way they do. That's the best way to choose an instructor, anyway. Danny and Fred and Chris are good people, superb divers, and at least two of them are superb instructors (I haven't dived with Chris, although I have friends who swear by him, too).

My only "issue" with the GUE cave courses is that I´d get 21 days in florida with my full cave instructor (who lives in the UK) for the price of cave 1 & 2(10 days of instruction)...I don´t see how the GUE-courses can be good value for money (not having taken them)...

I've done NSS-CDS, NACD, and TDI. Among these agencies, there are some very minor differences between most at the cavern/intro level but they are mostly similar at the full cave level. At cavern/intro, some dictate 1 vs. 2 safety reels, wierd rules on penetration (1/6th on doubles for basic/intro vs. no doubles at intro vs. "provisional" apprentice in doubles). NSS, NACD, TDI, and IANTD have the same full cave level. IANTD also has a "technical cave" that combines deco procedures and a single stage.

The NAUI and GUE classes are different. GUE requires fundies before you take Cave 1. Cave one has somewhat similar limits to basic, but I believe they can make navigantional decision and the gas limits are modified from standard 1/6th. NAUI Cave 1 allows for full 1/3's and 1 nav decision at Cave 1. They also allow cross-over from other agencies (I believe you need cavern?).

To me, it all comes down to the instructor. I don't want to turn this into a DIR vs non-DIR discussion, but I just never bought into the GUE approach so I didn't consider them. I agree w/ TS&M though, talk to them and see what is required to embark on the GUE ciricullum. I'd also talk to Protec and German (Yucatech). There are tons of good instructors in the area so you will be spoiled for choice.

NAUI Cave 1 allows for full 1/3's and 1 nav decision at Cave 1
NAUI Cave 1 allows for 1/3rd's or no-deco limits, whichever you hit first, and 2 navigational decisions. Just FYI.

Got my Cave cert through ProTec in Playa.
Wouldn't recommend anyone else. They are the best!

Not that it matters, they are tied into IANTD. In fact, Andreas Matteas is the regional director for IANTD (Latin America).

NAUI Cave 1 allows for 1/3rd's or no-deco limits, whichever you hit first, and 2 navigational decisions. Just FYI.

Interesting point on the NDL's. So can you go until you acutally hit NDL, or are you suppose to plan to exit the cave within NDL's?

The dive is supposed to be within NDL's, rather than just the 'penetration side'. I didn't phrase it that well in my initial post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom