Cave Instructor Observations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kensuf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
June, 2016.

Public safety alert for those of you taking, recently taken, or are considering taking a cavern course.

All agencies require their cavern instructors to be in full cave gear while teaching or guiding cavern students. This means the instructor should be wearing either backmount doubles, or sidemount twin cylinder configuration. This is for YOUR SAFETY in the event that something goes pear shaped during a training dive. This is to make sure your instructor has enough air to get the student out of the overhead environment, and redundant equipment in the event of a failure.

Folks, there is an individual that is putting cavern students potentially in harms way. I do not know the name of the individual, but it was posted on the cave divers forum that he took a cavern student well into a cave system while he himself was wearing open water gear (single tank, no redundant first stage).

If you are taking a cavern class and your instructor wants to teach it in a single tank configuration, run away. That instructor does not care about you or your welfare.

When considering a cavern course, be sure to interview your potential instructor. A competent cavern instructor should have plenty of cave diving experience (minimum of 100 non-training cave dives), should have interned and assisted / apprenticed with at least three other cavern instructors, and should regularly practice these skills. Ask your potential instructor how many non-training cave dives they have done, who they apprenticed with, and how often they go cave diving.

It shouldn't. We're talking about the bedrock program of all cave training, why should we be willing to compromise?

Hate to say it,but that genie is all ready out of the bottle. I understand what you are saying, and agree,but I also see what is happening.

1.How long has the instructor been a cave instructor?

What about ," and how many classes do you teach a year". I know some people that have an instructor cert,been doing it a long time, and haven't been in the water in years.

Which brings me to a question...
How does one become an experience cave instructor in the first place? Obviously, if you need to have been a cave instructor for 10 years before anyone should take a class with you, does that mean you simply sit out 10 years without teaching? Sounds like a great way to be a good instructor.

Imo, this argument is crap.

I think a more relevant measure is the frequency and number of cave dives as well as overall time spent in a cave and the variety of caves and cave environments experienced.

Thanks for your post, Ken. I hope divers interested in taking cavern will heed your Public Service Alert.

Sadly, it is a common to see cavern class being taught in the Eye while the instructor is in a single tank setup. About two months ago, my team and I were doing deco in the Eye while we watched a cavern class being taught by an instructor who was on a rebreather.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom