Cayman - Diving and Accomodations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PlanoDvr1

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All.

Been reading the threads about Cayman and all it has to offer. Have listened to multiple friends about how good the Caymans are for diving. Its our 20th anniversary and I'm surprising her w/ a trip in February to Cayman or if this is the wrong place...any suggestions to another diving location would be welcome.

There is soooo much info that I am finding it hard to pull together to what we feel is a good time for us.

Diving background/question:
We have been to Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Destin, FL for dives. The Las Tortugas dive at Playa as being one of our best, 100ft w/ a multitude of turtles. However, my wife loves color and there simply was not a lot of color. What are the best dives in Cayman that would satisfy my wife's desire for color? We are not experts by any stretch of the word, I would rank us as advanced beginners. She prefers 60ft and less but wants to do a Wall dive. She would absolutely love shore dives.

Accomodations background/question:
In Playa we stayed at the Occidental Xcaret Resort next to the Xcaret park. We love to wake up looking at the water and hearing the water. The view is something we value highly. Is there an all-inclusive on any of the islands? We like crowds but we haven't been away from our life for 2 years and would want a place that is somewhat secluded. Once again, if Cayman is not the place, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I can only speak for Grand Cayman but others may chime in about the other islands. If you want seclusion it is definitely possible on Grand Cayman if you stay away from Seven Mile Beach. You can either opt for the East End or the West Bay sections of Grand Cayman. The East End is very limited as far as shore diving but the dive sites via boat are excellent specially the walls and the swim-thrus. In the West Bay area you have your choice of either doing boat dives and doing the walls, or shore dives at the Turtle Farm or the Lighthouse, so it's a little more flexible in that area.

You can, however, rent a car (you'll have to anyway if you want to see most of the island) and dive different shore spots such as Eden Rock, Sunset House, etc. It's up to you.

Thanks sixgears. Are there any all-inclusives found on the East End?

Thanks all. Will probably be going to The Reef on the East end of the Grand Cayman.

If you want seclusion, an ocean view, and far superior diving, you may want to consider Cayman Brac or Little Cayman over Grand Cayman.

I have been to all 3 and CB & LC are far superior.

If you also want nightlife, then stay with Grand Cayman.

Second that opinion. If you want romance and seclusion I would check out Little Cayman. I don't know what your budget is but the Little Cayman Beach Resort has a great meal plan that is available to guests at the resort as well as the higher end accommodations at the Conch Club Condominiums and The Club at Little Cayman. All three accommodation are highly reccommended.

Diving background/question:
We have been to Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Destin, FL for dives. The Las Tortugas dive at Playa as being one of our best, 100ft w/ a multitude of turtles. However, my wife loves color and there simply was not a lot of color. What are the best dives in Cayman that would satisfy my wife's desire for color? We are not experts by any stretch of the word, I would rank us as advanced beginners. She prefers 60ft and less but wants to do a Wall dive. She would absolutely love shore dives.

Accomodations background/question:
In Playa we stayed at the Occidental Xcaret Resort next to the Xcaret park. We love to wake up looking at the water and hearing the water. The view is something we value highly. Is there an all-inclusive on any of the islands? We like crowds but we haven't been away from our life for 2 years and would want a place that is somewhat secluded. Once again, if Cayman is not the place, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

Grand Cayman - East End is very quiet...wonderful color...yes, you'd have to have a car and there are lots of shore dives!

But...have you considered San Andres Island? We spent 3 wks there...diving incredible...and depending on the conditions of the day it has great wall diving as well. There are several all inclusive places on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom