Cenote's or Hol Box..????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I will be in Coz for a week the beginning of August . We are contemplating a trip to the mainland for either the Whale Sharks or the cenotes ...Which is better (which Im sure both are spectaular)...Any info regarding the specifics of getting to Hol Box from Playa?

Cozoholic:
My boyfriend and I will be in Coz for a week the beginning of August . We are contemplating a trip to the mainland for either the Whale Sharks or the cenotes ...Which is better (which Im sure both are spectaular)...Any info regarding the specifics of getting to Hol Box from Playa?

I too will be in Mexico around then. I love the cenotes, its awesome diving. As for the Whale sharks I haven't done them yet, but I am interested in seeing what kind of feedback you get. Maybe I can learn from your post as well.

icyman:
I too will be in Mexico around then. I love the cenotes, its awesome diving. As for the Whale sharks I haven't done them yet, but I am interested in seeing what kind of feedback you get. Maybe I can learn from your post as well.

Ive done a little investagating and it seems like a long day...Ive read for only one day, its not worth it..Something like getting up at 4am, taking ferry to PDC, bus ride 2+hrs...we'll see what everyone has to say..I emailed blue angel dive shop for their package details..I'll keep you posted to see what I find out..when will you be there?

We are doing both in a couple of weeks but if I HAD to choose it would be the cenotes on pure convenience.

My research on getting to Holbox makes it a 3-4hr drive or a $200 each way taxi ride then a ferry (last - one is at 7pm). We are hiring a car for a few days for the flexibility. The people we are doing the WS with need us there at 7am (because of WS feeding behavior) and the first ferry is 8am so it requires an overnight as well. That is a lot of effort for a quick trip from Cozumel. I'm sure the packages make it a one day trip but I bet it is one hell of a day......

Cozoholic:
Ive done a little investagating and it seems like a long day...Ive read for only one day, its not worth it..Something like getting up at 4am, taking ferry to PDC, bus ride 2+hrs...we'll see what everyone has to say..I emailed blue angel dive shop for their package details..I'll keep you posted to see what I find out..when will you be there?

Cozoholic:

We will be there on July 21 through 28th, we are diving with some friends of ours in Coz. Always alot of fun.

My vote is for the Cenote's. I did Dos Ojos this year and it was fantastic. Best dives of the trip. From what I understand the whale shark thing is snorkling only...

I was speaking with a friend of mine(cave instructor) who lives in Cancun about the whale sharks,he's been many times.Two things stuck in my mind.

1. It's usually just snorkeling,he said the vis is so poor that even with tanks he'd rather just snorkel.

2. July is the only month were you can really guarentee a sighting.

From Playa I'd go with the cenotes.

Rondo:
I was speaking with a friend of mine(cave instructor) who lives in Cancun about the whale sharks,he's been many times.Two things stuck in my mind.

1. It's usually just snorkeling,he said the vis is so poor that even with tanks he'd rather just snorkel.

2. July is the only month were you can really guarentee a sighting.

From Playa I'd go with the cenotes.

Ok can he recommend a op to go with, because I am already doing the Cenotes and i still want to do the whale sharks in July.

icyman:
Ok can he recommend a op to go with, because I am already doing the Cenotes and i still want to do the whale sharks in July.
try out this link. http://www.marvintours.com/htm/cadre.htm
used him last year and if marvin is along it was fine. there is no scuba diving with the sharks and i am not sure if there even is a compressor on the island. another option on going there is take the bus from cancun to the small town across from holbox, then the ferry. i don't know the schedule but that would be the easiest way if you are game for traveling on your own. call it a two night trip on holbox. by the way i don't know how good marvin is on email but his web site does have some good info.

This is from Alison (Scuba with Alison):

Forget Holbox. I LOVE Holbox and it just so happens that I am planning a trip over there with my mom right after you leave. But I have been there twice and I know how long it takes to get there. It is an all day journey just to get there and an all day journey to get back. So you need a minimum of 3 days to go to Holbox from Cozumel. One day of travel getting there, one day to snorkel with the whale sharks and one day to get back. It takes about 7 hours each way to Holbox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom