Certificate on Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

most of the san jose area shops have ow courses for around 350 and the certification dives are in monterey. you would need to get the padi materials and your own personal gear on top of the class cost. i did the weekend option and it took 6 days over 3 weekends.

You'll be a better diver and get more out of diving if you get certified in San Jose/Monterey. Plus, your diving in Hawaii will be much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

Is it something you can do three days in a row ?

For PADI OW there's 2 lectures and 4 pool dives that typically get condensed into 2 pool sessions. So you could do it in 4 days. Mine was 2 Friday nights for lectures and 3 Sunday afternoons for pool dives.

Open water dives can be done in 2 days -- we did it that way -- so you're looking at the total of 6 days, 2 of which (the lectures) are only an hour or so.

For PADI OW there's 2 lectures and 4 pool dives that typically get condensed into 2 pool sessions. So you could do it in 4 days. Mine was 2 Friday nights for lectures and 3 Sunday afternoons for pool dives.

Open water dives can be done in 2 days -- we did it that way -- so you're looking at the total of 6 days, 2 of which (the lectures) are only an hour or so.

Strictly speaking, for PADI Open Water there are five individual confined water dives. If you do the "traditional" classroom sessions, there are five individual knowledge development modules. Of course, then come the four open water dives.

As others have mentioned you can do the complete knowledge development on your own through eLearning or the Open Water Touch. After completing that at your liesure and schedule, you simply complete the confined water sessions before going into the open water dives. Very convenient.

Hej Kasper,

Your first open water dives will be an important learning period.

Will you be diving with a friend who is an experienced diver?

The more-experienced divers here on SB taught me a phrase that I had never heard before: "zero to hero". It means (roughly), getting certified quickly, and then moving into more challenging diving quickly.

They can explain the risks better than I can, and describe some ways to stay safe while diving with groups of strangers that form quickly and split up after the dive.

If you find yourself on the Kona coast of the Big Island Hawaii, I would recommend Kona Diving Company. My nephew did an advanced class there on spring break two years ago and they are quite simply the best. I was impressed with every aspect of their operation. They were very helpful in getting everything set up. he is in California, I was in Alaska and we were meeting up in Kona. They took care of all our diving needs.

Home

Hej Kasper,

Your first open water dives will be an important learning period.

Will you be diving with a friend who is an experienced diver?

The more-experienced divers here on SB taught me a phrase that I had never heard before: "zero to hero". It means (roughly), getting certified quickly, and then moving into more challenging diving quickly.

They can explain the risks better than I can, and describe some ways to stay safe while diving with groups of strangers that form quickly and split up after the dive.

Actually, the Zero to Hero reference is related to going and doing an internship to become a professional, that is done in a matter of weeks, and you have started as a non certified diver.

Which island will you be visiting? I would suggest that you take the classroom and pool sessions in San Jose before you go to Hawaii. The classroom and pool can be done in one weekend, Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday. You would then be left with two days of diving in the ocean in Hawaii. You probably don't want to spend four days of your Hawaii week taking scuba classes.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a scuba instructor in San Jose and would be delighted to talk with you about the program and options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom