Certification cards once again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, you can go online @ a resort (for PADI) & get your numbers...Wife did that a couple years ago in Little Cayman when she didn't bring one......No problem...

EDIT:& that was a certification from 1985

The "all in one" concept would only work if all of your certifications were through one agency. Personally, I'd find that rather limiting since no one agency offers all the courses I've wanted to take.

I was once refused nitrox when presenting a trimix card ... I was also once refused a dive charter because the cards I had on me at the time were YMCA and NAUI ... the latter being an instructor's card, no less. The shop only accepted PADI cards.

You can't cure stupidity ... you can only laugh at it and go find more competent people to deal with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My c-card dates back to the 60s and is paper. I never carry the original with me. I scanned a color copy of it, laminated that and stuck it in my wallet. Now if I could just get those PADI dive centers to understand what a Los Angeles County c-card means.

Yep, you can go online @ a resort (for PADI) & get your numbers...Wife did that a couple years ago in Little Cayman when she didn't bring one......No problem...

EDIT:& that was a certification from 1985

Doesn't work if you aren't diving through a PADI resort or in a place with unreliable internet. Most good dive places in the world are blessed with 3rd world infrastructure. Internet connections aren't to be relied on!

I'm not quite sure that information is correct. I just went on PADI's website, and found my dive buddy's certification level, his cert numbers, the dates of his certifications, and his most recent picture submitted.

And I'm certainly not a padi center.

How did you do that? Some navigation instructions please.

DevonDiver, like Bob I have had my NAUI Heliox card refused as good for Nitrox. Fortunately I had my GUE Fundies card on me which said 32%. Hmmm, I have cards from at least 5 different agencies so "One Card" would certainly NOT do it!

honestly, I'd keep OW, AOW, EAN and possibly solo if I was planning to do that. The rest are just plastic that don't really mean much to anyone except you. I guess if I were a dive pro I'd keep that certification if there is a card that specifies. Definitely wouldn't worry about dry-suit cards or photography or any of that other nonsense.

Of course, the only card I have is OW so what do I know?

honestly, I'd keep OW, AOW, EAN and possibly solo if I was planning to do that. The rest are just plastic that don't really mean much to anyone except you.

Hmm I can see no point in carrying OW AND AOW. Go for the highest. And, from the previous messages, I highly doubt that *nobody* cares about the other "plastic".

It seems like the bottom line of the subject is:
1.Carry the highest *recreational* certificate + EAN + (if you do) deco/trimix/etc. + cave
2.Hope that they will accept your night diving without night spec card - in case of a problem show logged night dives or photocopy of c-card or Internet webpage.

It is a pity that in so many places people are so uninformed. I might understand e.g. scepticism about GUE (a relatively new organisation). But not accepting TDI Trimix?

Obviously, as somebody has stated - carrying *everything* would be the best solution. But it's so annoying, especially with organisation such as PADI which has a card for everything.

Best,
M.

Why the heck cant dive agencies just have one card with endorsements on that card? An entirely separate card for each specialty seems ridicules.

The card size would be massive! I have over 25 various certifications, can you imagine getting all that info on one card?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom