Certifications worth earning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two of the primary things to consider with specialties is does the instructor actually do those dives and is he/she passionate about the subject? For example take Underwater Photography. A few years back as a DM I could have taken a half day workshop and been certed to teach a digital photography class for the agency I was with at that time. After looking at it objectively and taking my own morals and ethics into consideration I did not do it. Why? Because it would have been the biggest line of BS I would be feeding to students. Turns out the workshop was more on HOW TO SELL this new course to unsuspecting rubes to separate them from their money. Oh a few tips on composition, setting and choosing a camera, etc..

Today I still take photos and even have an HD video camera but I am in no way competent enough to teach an Underwater Photo course that I would want to take. So I refer students to actual underwater photographers that make a living or partial living with their camera. Some of them are not even scuba instructors. But they are great shooters, great divers, and know how to teach their craft.

Same with Fish ID. You could get a better education from amazon than with me on that. But I know a PhD in Marine Biology in Florida that I would send you to for a course on Fish ID that would be of the caliber I would want to take.

My scope is kind of narrow and I specialize in teaching courses that will attract the type of divers who not only don't mind but actually like diving on wrecks, in low vis, in cold water, and who hope that ops don't put a DM or guide in the water to spoil their fun. My Advanced Class has entry requirements that new OW divers can't meet without remediation in many cases.

We have a lot in common, Jim ... I probably refer more students these days than I teach. A few years ago I gave up teaching DAN courses because one of my long-time friends started teaching them ... and as an ER nurse she had a much better background for it than I did, not to mention a truckload of "toys" she'd collected over the years for teaching all manner of first aid type classes. So now when my students want a DAN class I send them to her.

I've been working on putting together a comprehensive underwater photography class for some time ... still haven't got all the components together, but I teach pieces of it to people who want to take the class. It almost always starts out with a "how to dive like a photographer" module that emphasizes buoyancy, trim and propulsion skills. The key to taking good underwater pictures is being able to get in close to your subject without scaring them away, then holding still long enough to frame and take the shot ... and not stirring up a bunch of silt in the process. I do not make a living or even a partial living with my camera ... but I have figured out a few things about taking pictures underwater. And I have some skill at passing that information along to my students.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks guys. A lot of great information came about through this thread. I had a few ideas, but now I have even more insight.

-BC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom