Changing battery in my Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-QC

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

Is changing the battery in my Vyper is something I can do myself or should I go the my LDS to make it done?

Thanks

You can do this yourself it is not hard ... but if you have doubts have your shop do it. Then if it floods they can be responsible for it.

Changing the Vyper/Gekko battery is simplicity itself. Battery is about $2.50 at Walmart. Just be careful with the O-ring. Be sure that it is not damaged, and that no foreign matter (salt, hair, etc.) is stuck either to it, or it's seating grooves. Replace it if you can find one. Use a light (just shiny) coating of silicone grease. LDS wanted $20 for a Vyper kit, which consists of a battery and O-ring. $17.50 seemed pretty pricy for an O-ring, so I have reused my old ones several times. I reused O-rings in my Nikonos' many times with no problems. Static O-rings, if not damaged, last a long time. Follow the instructions in the manual.

Walgreens carries the batteries for the Vyper, the battery numbers are:

Eveready : ECR2450
Duracel : DL2450
Radio Shack : 5008L, 509LC, DL2450
Maxell & Panasonic : CR2450

As everyone's said, changing out the battery is very simple, there are multiple sites that have step-by-step instructions if you Google it.

Other than a LDS, where can these O-rings be picked up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom