Changing the HP hose.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The hardest part of the whole deal is getting the rubber boot on and off. Last time I did mine, I remember losing one of the o-rings inside the SPG housing. I had to pick it out with a sharp object but it wasn't too difficult.

If a boot is involved make sure it is warm (probably fine in the northern hemisphere in August) and consider some soapy lubricant. Afterwards make sure no moisture enters the connection.

BarryNL:
I'm fine changing out all the LP hoses but I've not done an HP hose yet and don't want to break anything...
Is that DIR?

ZzzKing:
The hardest part of the whole deal is getting the rubber boot on and off. Last time I did mine, I remember losing one of the o-rings inside the SPG housing. I had to pick it out with a sharp object but it wasn't too difficult.
Ah, a definite advantage to the un-booted DIR SPGs then :)

awap:
The spool can be a bit difficult to deal with if corrosion and deposits have started to form. If the spool can be removed easily, by hand, you should have no problem. If you have to use pliers, the spool will almost surely be a casualty. I often have to soak the problem connection to get the spool loose. Those are dynamic o-rings so you should consider replacing them (size -003) or at least re-lubing them before reuse.

If the spool is stuck in the hose end, one could try soaking it. I find it much easier, however, to put the reg on a tank, hold a rag over the spool end of the hp hose, and turn on the air. The pressure usually pops the spool loose, but be sure to hold a substantial rag over the spool end so as not to create a missile. If this does not work, the spool is REALLY stuck, and I resort to pliers. If the spool is stuck in the gauge, and I want to remove it and cannot wiggle it free by hand, I usually sacrifice the spool and use a pliers, as I do not want to risk introducing a liquid into the gauge.

Back
Top Bottom