Channel Islands: Anacapa & Santa Cruz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I headed down to Ventura last weekend to join a couple of other So Cal friends for some single tank fun (warmer water) diving off Anacapa and Santa Cruz Islands. At the last minute a fourth joined our group so we split into two teams of two and stuck together.

6 hours down to Ventura Harbor isn’t that bad a drive. $120 covers a bunk for the night, breakfast, lunch and 4 recreational dives on the Spectre. The boat only pumps air, so boat wasn’t full so just brought some extra tanks of 32% on board with no problem ;-).

The water was glassy calm on the trip over. The sun was shining and the sky was painted a brilliant blue. A huge pod of dolphin joyfully splashed off the bow. Birds (maybe pelicans?)flew in a mesmerizing formation. It was the perfect boat ride!

land.jpg

We did a couple of dives at Santa Cruz Island (Cavern Point & Fence Line) enjoying the 40-50 ft vis and 57F water, vibrant orange Garibaldi, huge Sheepsheads, brilliant Spanish Shawls, loads of purple urchins, and the sun rays penetrating into the outstanding kelp forests.

16.jpg

rickIII.jpg

13.jpg

Then, we headed over to Anacapa to Underwater Arch, where young sea lions seemed to enjoy our mid water hover so much, they spent almost half the dive playing with us. They kept swooping down in huge loops and stopping eye to eye just inches from my face as if to say hi ;-).

santacruzsealion.jpg

On the fourth dive, Underwater Island, we followed the anchor line through 20ft vis for a nice kick with a bit of current around a pinnacle where we spotted and several very beautiful reddish brown Two Spot Octopi tucked back in cracks along a rocky wall.

starfishgazing.jpg

Diving on the Channel Islands was a fun change of pace from our local diving.

All of these dives maxed out at 60ft or less.

Photos courtesy of my generous partners: Rick, Phil and Heather

Very nice, Kathy! Did you see any big stuff too? I'm amazed at the diversity of life in the channel islands, we are so lucky to live where we do.

nice stuff there, we just got back ourselves from a 3 night live aboard the Vision. What awesome diving that is. Every time I go, it amazes me I don't go more often.

Thx for the pics

Very nice, Kathy! Did you see any big stuff too? I'm amazed at the diversity of life in the channel islands, we are so lucky to live where we do.

Thanks, it was a very fun relaxing day. We missed the sea bass, didn't see any big stuff - unless you count the big bull sea lion who dropped down to check us out at the first site.

Awesome! Amazing how the diving can be so different just a few hours's distance away.

What was your itinerary for the trip? Drive and stay over on Friday, dive and drive back on Saturday?

Glad you had a good time! I love diving Southern California -- it's so variable and so rich in life, and the water is so much warmer :)

What was your itinerary for the trip? Drive and stay over on Friday, dive and drive back on Saturday?

I drove down on Friday and dove Saturday, but you could easily drive Saturday and dive Sunday. The harbor has a couple of restaurants- so it's a nice place to arrive early if you're meeting friends. We were back at the dock by 6:00pm ish.

I stopped in Monterey for diving on Sunday (was totally exhausting!), but could have made the drive straight home by about 1:00AM.

Kathy - Thanks for posting your trip and pictures.

Channel Islands is on my To-Dive list during one of my future west coast trips. :D

Did I read on FB that you were kissed by a harbor seal? And was it on this trip?

Channel Islands is on my To-Dive list during one of my future west coast trips. :D

Future west coast trips?! :D Sam, you must let me know when!!!

Did I read on FB that you were kissed by a harbor seal? And was it on this trip?

Well, almost kissed :)! It was an amazing encounter. One young sea lion was quite curious about the diver who was calmly hovering about 10ft off the bottom.

Seemed the stiller I was, it's curiosity grew. So I slowed my breath and relaxed even more. First it swam all around, then it started doing these giant loops, dropping down to the bottom and loop up stopping literally just inches from my face, it's beautiful almond shaped dark eyes peered into my mask. On one of the passes I could swear I felt it's whiskers on my cheeks ;-). A sweet sea lion "kiss" :)!

Wish we captured the moment on video but it was just too dang fast!

Future west coast trips?! :D Sam, you must let me know when!!!
Yes, most definitely will do so.

Wish we captured the moment on video but it was just too dang fast!

Very sweet encounter indeed. I wanna see the video even if it's too dang fast! I must live vicariously through your west coast diving. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom