Charging electronics on Bonaire - just wing it huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had a problem, though I only plug devices in to charge, and unplug when done. Limit the time any errant surges may strike. Plus I lock everything that will fit in the safe when not in use. No need for that iPod and player to walk off without me!

I have never had a problem either. Look at your chargers, most all of them these days are rated 110-220V, 50-60 hz and if so you are good to go.

Just back from Bon and didn't have a single issue. One diver in our party was a master electrician and indicated that most power adapters are rated to handle the fluctuation in voltage. He explained the matter to me using the language Herman provided above.

Golden.

I think the surge protector is good advice. Laptop charges are dual voltage so they work fine, it's recommended not to use your laptop plugged in to the wall outlet power, but only to charge it then run off the batteries. Other good advice given was if something can optionally be charged via USB cable to do it off the lap top instead of using it's normal charger.

Other than that, it sounds like there are no economical solutions for power conversion other than wing it and hope for the best in regard to camera battery chargers.

All electronics are made in China or Japan and all work on both 220 and 110 and 50 or 60 cycles don't mean anything to these devices, your looking for problems where rumors have more power than science:wink:

All electronics are made in China or Japan and all work on both 220 and 110 and 50 or 60 cycles don't mean anything to these devices, your looking for problems where rumors have more power than science:wink:

Are you smoking dope or something?

Black Bennies? Popers? Slippy-flippy's? Bing bangs, Fiddle-faddels?

I see you are steering this thread in the same as most other Bonaire threads eh Mike? It was almost civil until you got back involved.

Interesting phrasing... I like it!

To my knowledge, no one has had a problem with their electronics charging in Bonaire (minus surge issues that can happen anywhere). My personal experience is that I have charged laptops, AA batteries and LI batteries and never had a problem. The outlets accept 110v 2-3 prong (american) plugs without issue.

With Liz's advice about the island's production facility I will be adding a simple surge strip to one of my bags... problems solved :wink:

Thanks everyone. NORMALLY, everything we have withstands the normal "surges" BUT, we have had a few that actually took out portable transformers. We have the transformers on ALL the refrigerators in the apartments, and a "surge" took one out, even with the transformer. Also we had a large bird land on a transformer pole and fry himself a few months ago. We had voltage regulators (and still do) on our our computers at GRI, and thank goodness we did. Both regs actually caught fire, but saved both computers!!! This is why I highly suggest the portable surge protectors.

I see you are steering this thread in the same as most other Bonaire threads eh Mike? It was almost civil until you got back involved.

Thanks Mr. Nanny. You done good interjecting nothing once again other than being able to listen to your jaws flap about nothing.

You must need me to start asking about crime on Bonaire again to give your life some meaning and purpose again?

Back
Top Bottom