Cheap... eBay drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just looking at these and wondering which is better. Here's the info:

QUILTED 3-LAYER
costs $60 + $10 for shipping
Water Temperature Rating 55-60
3-layer garment
Nylon outer lining with Fleece 240g/sqm inner lining

4 WAY ANTARCTICA
costs $80 + $16 for shipping
Water Temperature Rating 55
2-layer material (4 way stretch)
Fleece 320g/sqm

So the ANTARCTICA has a thicker fleece and is more expensive and presumably bulkier/heavier since shipping is more, but it only has 2 layers whereas the QUILTED has 3 layers. And both are rated for about the same water temperature.

What do you think? To me it seems like the QUILTED suit might be the better deal, although the ANTARCTICA may be a little bit warmer. Also, the size chart is the same, but in the pic, the QUILTED looks to have a trimmer waistline cut than the ANTARCTICA.

Floater has a point...I didn't notice that they were rated for almost the same temps...
If that's the case I would much rather have the thinner of the 2...Hmmmmm

I purchased the quilted suit. And I've also got the Antarctic boots. I think they are about the same thickness. The Antarctic boots are just plain fleece whereas the quilted suit seem to be of better quality.

The quilted outer layer is nylon I presume. It's the slick stuff on alot of coats and such. The arms both have a vent strip. and inside the suit is also a layer of the very, very soft fleece that you would find on a pull-over or thin blanket.

In all honesty and I hate to say this but this ebay suit is built better than my USIA Exotherm II that I paid over $200.00 for! I'm going to have to get the suit altered some as it's too long in the legs and the arms are too long.

Where do you guys think I should take it? To the dry cleaners to be altered?

I can't wait to dive it.

Jeremy

Note; the Antartica suit says it's 4 way stretch and may be actually warmer than the temp raing stated ...

good prices ether way though

I have a custom 'antarctic' variety and aside from being slightly short in the top (1" or so, I measured it wrong), its extremely warm and being 2 layers, when the outer layer gets damp, the inner layer is still dry and very warm.

I had it up in the Straights of Macinac in 40's water for 30-40 minutes and never got cold. I get cold easily to boot. I plan to order another a bit larger. Just can't beat the price.

cmalinowski:
I used the one that was too large for about a 40min runtime in about 40F water temps. Slightly chilly at the end, but my glove leaked too :)

I had on underarmor shirt to wick, but that was it.
I was diving a bare xcd2 tech, so the the hypercrushed neo gives some thermal protection too. I would say at least 5 degrees or so.

I might have to check out the quilted, but I like how quickly the fleece vents and that it traps no air. Can't wait to dive it.

Chris

in_cavediver:
I have a custom 'antarctic' variety and aside from being slightly short in the top (1" or so, I measured it wrong), its extremely warm and being 2 layers, when the outer layer gets damp, the inner layer is still dry and very warm.

I had it up in the Straights of Macinac in 40's water for 30-40 minutes and never got cold. I get cold easily to boot. I plan to order another a bit larger. Just can't beat the price.

Heck for that price you could afford to have a couple. Thanks to the OP for pointing these out!

Okay, I ordered the QUILTED suit yesterday with the fleece socks. The shipping was only $10 for regular USPS (socks ship free with suit if you ask seller), but he sent it by Fedex and I got it today.

I'm 6' and 190 lbs currently, so I got the L (70-72" and 180-195#). The height is good, but if I was any taller then the suit would be too tight in the torso for me. There's room for more weight though, especially in the stomach and hip area - this suit has a bit of fat boy cut to it. I included one pic of me in just jeans and a t-shirt for comparison, the suit definitely adds thickness:

quilted1.jpg

quilted_on.jpg

The suit was very warm. My apartment is cold because I don't keep the heating on (I'm in Philadelphia), but wearing this suit and fleece socks while taking the photos I started to sweat in about 10 minutes.

The outside quality looks very good. The inside stitching looks a little sketchy (cheap), but for the price I'm not complaining. The tag only says made in China, but nothing about the materials:

quilted_inside.jpg

The shoulders have stretch panels so I have no problems reaching behind me, though without them I think the suit would definitely be restrictive:

quilted_stretch.jpg

The suit has 3 pockets; one at the chest and two by the waist like normal pants. The suit is quite thick so you'll need some extra room in the suit, which I have in my Bare Nex-Gen Pro. For a snug fitting neoprene suit I'd rather use Xerotherm Arctics or some other form fitting undergarment.

The collar is a little short so you may need something extra to keep the neck warm. The zipper works 2 ways for those interested.

The fleece socks look like good bang for the buck. Made in China, 85% Polyester, 15% Lycra. I might just wear them around the house, though sitting around with my feet up and the socks on, my feet still got cold as usual:

socks_fleece.jpg

In conclusion: My initial thoughts are that this is amazing value. I'm not sure how well the inner stitching will hold up, but the outside looks solid and the suit is very thick and extremely warm. The cut is as you can see from the pics.

Back
Top Bottom