Cheap... eBay drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW!! Thanks Floater!! Now I wish I'd gotten the socks too...maybe it's not too late, I just ordered a little while ago....

:sprint: *Jen runs off to order socks*

I'm such a follower! :D

Thanks for the pics. I was going to post some pics tonight but you beat me to it. As far as the stiching holding up. If the suit lasts 2 winters it is still a value. I tried mine on and got into my drysuit with it to make sure there was enough room. OMG, I thought I was going to die from a heat stroke!! Alot warmer that anything else I've ever tried on in the house.

I probably could actually go down to the XL size (I ordered a 2XL) as the suit is cut for us bigger folks. At the price I might just order the XL size and just keep them both. You know, one as a backup or sell it off.

Let us know how you like yours ScubaJennifer

I'm probably going to keep using my Xeotherm socks as I really like them.

Jeremy

*Floater* (and eBay):
QUILTED 3-LAYER
costs $60 + $10 for shipping
Water Temperature Rating 55-60
3-layer garment
Nylon outer lining with Fleece 240g/sqm inner lining

4 WAY ANTARCTICA
costs $80 + $16 for shipping
Water Temperature Rating 55
2-layer material (4 way stretch)
Fleece 320g/sqm

4WAY FLEX
costs $48 + $9.50 for shipping
Water Temperature Rating 65
1-layer material (4 way stretch)
Fleece 320g/sqm
Okay, I added the "4WAY FLEX" to the list for comparison's sake. If I'm interpreting this correctly, the Antarctica is simply two layers of the same fleece as the Flex, and the Quilted is two layers of 240g fleece plus a nylon outer shell.

Would it be reasonable to assume that the nylon outer layer isn't going to give you much additional thermal protection? If that were to be assumed, than you've for 480g of fleece in two layers for the Quilted versus 640g in two layers for the Antarctica. Hmm...

Anyone want to get one of each and spend some dives comparing them? :D

Interesting ClayJar. I don't think the nylon outer is for any warmth but it does ease getting into the drysuit and also acts as a wind dam when wearing the undergarment around on the SI.

It would be nice to get one of each for a review. As soon as I can get a dive in mine I will post here. I usually have to layer currently. Last weekend I was layerd as such:
thin base thermals
RedHead Expedition weight thermals
USIA Exotherm II undergarment

Still cold in 40F water after 40 minutes.

I will see how these hold up here soon.

ClayJar:
Okay, I added the "4WAY FLEX" to the list for comparison's sake. If I'm interpreting this correctly, the Antarctica is simply two layers of the same fleece as the Flex, and the Quilted is two layers of 240g fleece plus a nylon outer shell.

Would it be reasonable to assume that the nylon outer layer isn't going to give you much additional thermal protection? If that were to be assumed, than you've for 480g of fleece in two layers for the Quilted versus 640g in two layers for the Antarctica. Hmm...

Anyone want to get one of each and spend some dives comparing them? :D
The quilting is nice I would guess. Keeps the suit in one piece instead of it feeling like you are wearing layers. The DUI polarflex 320g fleece is nice and it is quilted. It's what I was going to get before this bargain came along.

I don't see the need for the nylon outer shell, but it also probably releaves a slight bit of friction to improve mobility. That said, it may also trap air slightly or interfere with exaust slightly.

Chris

JKSteger:
Interesting ClayJar. I don't think the nylon outer is for any warmth but it does ease getting into the drysuit and also acts as a wind dam when wearing the undergarment around on the SI.

I'm not sure what the slick, quilted outer layer does, but I've used sleeping bags with a similar exterior so it might have something to do with warmth retention, or maybe it just strengthens the design.

Also, I think the layers might do more than just add more fleece. If a 320g/sqm 2-layer fleece is equivalent to a 640g/sqm 1-layer fleece garment, then why don't they just make 640g/sqm 1-layer fleece undergarments instead of layering?

*Floater*:
Also, I think the layers might do more than just add more fleece. If a 320g/sqm 2-layer fleece is equivalent to a 640g/sqm 1-layer fleece garment, then why don't they just make 640g/sqm 1-layer fleece undergarments instead of layering?
I imagine that would be problematic as it would have to be really thick pile. A long-haired fleece would likely suffer much more from matting, etc, and if it weren't long-haired, it would have to be pretty dense to get up to 640g/sqm, I'd think. As trapped air is a primary method fleece provides insulation, making it more dense likely reaches a point of diminishing returns.

Additionally, there's a limit to what can easily be worked. Also, multiple layers likely improve the flexibility (unless they're bonded like plywood, that is).

Incidentally, JKSteger, this might be a good reason for me to get over to your neck of the woods to dive Lanier or the quarry (or anywhere east of Louisiana). I could get the Antarctic, and then we could compare them side-by-side with some photos, maybe a measured thickness, and some qualitative observations.

Come on over ClayJar. Would love to have you back in my neck of the woods again. Lanier or the quarry...both open every weekend.

Jeremy

I put in my order for an XL Antarctica. It looks like it might be warmer than the Quilted, and I can always get a Quilted or lower if I find out it's *too* warm. (Think we could get BP/W setups this inexpensively? :wink:)

Well, I guess I have to wait for it to come in, but that's not going to be as hard as it ought to be, as I seem to have a bit of a cold or something. Go figure, finally a week without football to divide my loyalties (or, more properly, to fill my TiVo until I get back), and my throat and sinuses are stuffy. I guess I'll give my gear another thorough clean-and-check in lieu of actual diving... :(

ClayJar:
I put in my order for an XL Antarctica. It looks like it might be warmer than the Quilted, and I can always get a Quilted or lower if I find out it's *too* warm. (Think we could get BP/W setups this inexpensively? :wink:)

While I'm not looking to buy another undergarment, I'm curious about the Antarctica as well and how it compares to Quilted undersuit. If anyone could take some pics of the Antarctica suit then please post, and also how is the cut, same as the quilted suit or tighter since I guess it stretchier?

I have the Antarctica socks, and cannot tell from them whether a suit made of the same material would be warmer or colder than my Quilted suit.

As I said before my apartment is cold. My bedroom was probably below 50 degrees Fahrenheit last night and my blanket sucks which is why I've been wearing multiple layers of warm clothing to bed recently (long underwear, fleece pants and shirts, etc.). Last night I wore this suit and socks with just a t-shirt and boxers underneath and was warm and happy the whole night and in the morning - actually that's part of the reason I bought it; I was freezing my butt off at home and wanted something really warm. This thing is definitely warmer than anything else I have around the house, other than my winter jackets. The cut is far from sexy though, I feel like I'm wearing a grandpa suit with this thing on. I like the socks too, even though my feet still get cold at times (my feet get cold easily), but not as quickly.

Back
Top Bottom