Cheap... eBay drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, has anyone actually had a chance to dive with the quilted suit yet? I will have to wait until Feb. 11th before I can dive mine!

I'm actually going to try and hem up the arms a little on mine before then. Since the arms are not tapered, my mom said it wouldn't be too hard to shorten the arms. My suit is longer in my arms than my legs...go figure??

Hmm... I've got the Antartica now, but I don't think I'll get a chance to dive it before February 10th at Alabama Blue Water. (Hey, the Superbowl is the last real football until next season... or at least until the methadone of NFL Europe... How can I miss it?)

JKSteger:
So, has anyone actually had a chance to dive with the quilted suit yet? I will have to wait until Feb. 11th before I can dive mine!

I'm actually going to try and hem up the arms a little on mine before then. Since the arms are not tapered, my mom said it wouldn't be too hard to shorten the arms. My suit is longer in my arms than my legs...go figure??

I'm not planning to dive it any time soon. I sort of got it as a backup for my backup drysuit, which is currently sitting somewhere in Finland because of a luggage problem I had recently. But I don't expect it to compete with the top end undersuits in buoyancy or thermal characteristics when wet, but I'd assume it'll be warm (when dry) because on land at least it feels almost like wearing a sleeping bag. I just thought it was still really good value for the money.

Finally got mine...fits almost perfect...I won't get my drysuit until the end of the month, so it will be a while before I get to dive in it. I don't think I'm going to sleep in it though! :wink:

*Floater*:
I was just looking at these and wondering which is better. Here's the info:

QUILTED 3-LAYER
costs $60 + $10 for shipping
Water Temperature Rating 55-60
3-layer garment
Nylon outer lining with Fleece 240g/sqm inner lining

4 WAY ANTARCTICA
costs $80 + $16 for shipping
Water Temperature Rating 55
2-layer material (4 way stretch)
Fleece 320g/sqm

So the ANTARCTICA has a thicker fleece and is more expensive and presumably bulkier/heavier since shipping is more, but it only has 2 layers whereas the QUILTED has 3 layers. And both are rated for about the same water temperature.

What do you think? To me it seems like the QUILTED suit might be the better deal, although the ANTARCTICA may be a little bit warmer. Also, the size chart is the same, but in the pic, the QUILTED looks to have a trimmer waistline cut than the ANTARCTICA.

Always go with a thicker one. You won't feel any difference at the begining though, it will tell a difference on how many gram of fleece you have over time.

My question is that 320g is for 2 layers or one layer each?

In addition, the fleece sock works very well in UW. Don't underestimate its performance. I used to wear a neoprene sock all year around and add a 320g fleece sock for the winter season. My feet are totally toasted in 41 degree water for 60 min bottom time...

I purchased the 4 way strech antartica suit and the fleece socks or I should say matching socks. I have dove with them 3 times here in San Diego water temp is 55. One dive was for 63 minutes at 30% nitrox. I was so toasty. My friend has the DUI 300s grey suit, mine is thicker than his. I am a little worried that come summer time I will be a hot potatoe underwater :) Ron will go to great lengths to help you as well. I was between sizes so I sent him an email. He asked for my body dimensions and checked his stock to see if a medium was a little big or a large a little small. No luck , so he was going to have a seamstress customize the large for $15 more. What a great service. But them a new batch arrived and he found a medium that would work for me.

wake4rick:
I purchased the 4 way strech antartica suit and the fleece socks or I should say matching socks. I have dove with them 3 times here in San Diego water temp is 55. One dive was for 63 minutes at 30% nitrox. I was so toasty. My friend has the DUI 300s grey suit, mine is thicker than his. I am a little worried that come summer time I will be a hot potatoe underwater :) Ron will go to great lengths to help you as well. I was between sizes so I sent him an email. He asked for my body dimensions and checked his stock to see if a medium was a little big or a large a little small. No luck , so he was going to have a seamstress customize the large for $15 more. What a great service. But them a new batch arrived and he found a medium that would work for me.
I agree that Ron will work with you. I did send back my antartica suit that was too large and he refunded everything (including my original shipping) no fuss at all.

Chris

JKSteger:
Has anyone ever purchased any undergarments from ebay like these?

If so good, bad, ugly? did you like them? are they at least worth what they are listed at?

I purched his "antartic" socks and they are really toasty!! I was just wondering about the "quilted" 3 layer suit. I know it's fleece but I wouldn't be expecting Thinsulate warmth either.

Thanks,
Jeremy

After reading this thread I checked them out and purchased the Polypropelene Suit to go under my neoprene drysuit. I also ordered the fleece socks. As others have said, He was very good to communicate with, and even reposted the item to ebay, I will let you know how it works out.

I dove the Antarctica in the 51-54 degrees Fahrenheit of Alabama Blue Water Adventures (i.e. the quarry in Pelham, AL, near Birmingham) this weekend. It was quite enjoyable diving, indeed. Never once did the thought of calling the dive due to temperature occur to me, so I suppose I was quite warm enough. :D

ClayJar:
I dove the Antarctica in the 51-54 degrees Fahrenheit of Alabama Blue Water Adventures (i.e. the quarry in Pelham, AL, near Birmingham) this weekend. It was quite enjoyable diving, indeed. Never once did the thought of calling the dive due to temperature occur to me, so I suppose I was quite warm enough. :D
Holy cow :) It is funny what is cold to one versus another. This would only be a light fleece dive for me. I purchased the antarctica for ~40F water temps. But then I've seen people talk about 45F water temps with light fleece. Amazing what 5-10F will do.

Glad you enjoyed it. Can't wait to dive my correctly sized suit.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom