Check Out Dives - What to expect??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sassalin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone tell me what to expect during my check out dives? Also, I had a bad experience not to long ago in the pool and now I am somewhat scared to dive ( I go the the pool each week to pratice). How safe do you think diving is and how often do accidents happen like your mask comes off, your mouthpiece breaks or your regulator freeflows?

Thanks in advance!:)

I think as long as you find a good, reputable shop, their equipment won't fail. As far as what it's like...it's just like the pool but deeper and colder (well it was colder for me in Northern VA). I did use a hood and gloves the first dive (cuz they said we had to) and had a really tough time with my inflator and other things. The hood made it more difficult to clear my ears. So after the first dive I chose to just be a little chilly and ditched the hood and gloves.

Just get the point where you are sure you are comfortable and whatever you do, do NOT bolt for the surface. If you have an issue you don't think you can handle at depth, give the thumbs up sign, then the OK sign, wait for the DM to give the sign back and very slowly make your way up. Whatever you do, do not just head up without signaling, because people will assume you are panicking like last time.

Also make sure to have a mask and regulator that fit properly this time.

Most of all, good luck and Have Fun!!

Basically you will be doing the same things (skills) you have already done in the pool at depth minus a few (like removing your BCD on the bottom).

I'm curious, what happen to you in the pool? I take it you had an equipment failure?

Total equipment failure is a rare thing in the scuba industry. It's not uncommon to have an octopus or gauge bubble a little bit although a free flowing regulator is normally caused by poor maintenance and less then regular service intervals.

As for your mask coming off that's another rare event. I know many divers that have been underwater for more then 25 years and I don't think any of them have ever had their mask come off. Naturally you are trained in open water to handle situations like this with drills that include flooding your mask and removing it.

As for check out dives, like DivingPrincessE said you will basically be doing the same drills you accomplished in the pool in the open water setting probably at 20-25 feet. Depending on your location you could do check outs either in a quarry, lake, spring or the ocean. Sometimes dive shops will give you the opportunity to take a trip and do your check out dives while on vacation.

My personal recommendation would be to see if your dive center would do a trip to the Florida Springs to do your check outs. I can't think of a more comfortable and convenient place to do open water check out dives: not to mention that the water is warm and crystal clear.

Basically you will be doing the same things (skills) you have already done in the pool at depth minus a few (like removing your BCD on the bottom).

I'm curious, what happen to you in the pool? I take it you had an equipment failure?

Here's the story: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/220685-help-need-advice.html

and now I am somewhat scared to dive ( I go the the pool each week to pratice).

After that much practice, you should have no lingering issues.

Before your March trip, work again with your local instructor to alleviate these issues. You should have absolutely no difficulty or hesitation in performing any of the pool skills that you have been working upon.

Fast forward to your open water portion in paradise. Absolutely confide in your Island Instructor as to your problems. If you jump in and don't foreawrn him of your thoughts- you're in for a rough ride. if you tell them what to expect, you will likely have a very positive experience.

An example: My SO was passed through her confined water (pool) sessions without any ability to remove her mask. Her instructor is extremely well known and highly regarded. She finally overcame this by sitting in the shower with a full rig, slowly pulling her mask off. This is not your issue, nor resolution~ it is just to show that there are ways to overcome any problem... with proper attention form an understanding instructor.

Yes- diving can kill you, especially when you don't have a good handle on the basics. Do not accept a "passing grade" from an instructor who is just giving up on you. Admit what you need to learn, both to the Instructor as well as yourself.

After that, it's amazingly easy and rewarding. Go, talk yo your instructor(s).

Can anyone tell me what to expect during my check out dives? Also, I had a bad experience not to long ago in the pool and now I am somewhat scared to dive ( I go the the pool each week to pratice). How safe do you think diving is and how often do accidents happen like your mask comes off, your mouthpiece breaks or your regulator freeflows?

The checkout dives are exactly the same skills you've been practicing in the pool, except as mentioned, you probably don't have to remove and replace your BC underwater (I think this varies by certification agency).

The events you mentioned do happen. For example, your mask will never come off underwater unless someone kicks or bumps it or you take it off to fix something, however these aren't unknown occurrences, so not having a mask shouldn't be a terrifying experience. It's a little annoying, but not something to be afraid of.

However you can breathe just fine with no mask. If the thought of losing your mask makes you nervous, you should tell your instructor, and make sure you get extra help and pool-time to work through it. On the scale of "Bad Things", losing your mask should rate a little grumbling to your self but should not make you afraid or cause you to bolt to the surface.

The procedures you're learning in class can be used to solve almost any problem you could have underwater. If your mouthpiece comes off, you can switch to your alternate second stage, then re-attach it or end the dive. If you get a freeflow, you can switch to your alternate second stage or share air with your buddy, then end the dive.

These are all things you should be learning in class. Also, there is no reason for you to do your Open Water dives until you have learned all the necessary skills and are comfortable performing them in the pool.

Your checkout dives should be fun, not scary.

Terry

To answer your questions.

1) Check out should be what you did in the pool. It is a repeat performance so to speak.

2) Diving is VERY safe as long as you "obey" the rules, and dive within your comfort zone. Certainly as you find yourself wanting to do more advanced forms of diving, i.e. deeper, or wreck, or ??? getting the appropriate training will help you in staying safe. (Your first advanced class should be in my opinion, stress/rescue).

3) How often does your mask come off? I think in 30+ years I have never had my entire mask taken off, but have had it flooded a couple of times...and everytime was because of a buddy inadvertently contacting it and breaking the seal.

4) Mouthpieces. Again...never had a problem. This is why you routinely check your gear, especially when you are a newer diver. I have seen some newer divers chew the tabs off of a mouthpiece because of nerves....it takes some time and dives for people to settle into this sport, and some adjust quicker than others. When you check your gear, if the mouthpiece appears to be bad, then it probably is, and replacing it with a new one is a 2 minute task that anyone can do. Most people have an extra mouthpiece in their save-a-dive kit.

5) Freeflows - There are a number of reasons these can happen. Many of them are controlled by having your regulators serviced every year to ensure the wearable parts inside are replaced and functioning correctly. Many more are corrected by either handling the equipment correctly (if you put the regulator into the water with mouthpiece facing towards the sky, it is probably going to freeflow). Diving a regulator not designed for coldwater diving in very cold water poses the risk of a freeflow. Failure to keep your regulator clean (that is rinsed so that sand and salt crystals don't build up over time) between services invites eventual trouble...including freeflows. Most of the causes of this problem can be anticipated and by some attention to detail, prevented.

As someone else said...you are being given the basic skills to deal with problems that can arise. Trust in the training and recognize that as you become comfortable enough to want to do more in diving, that doing more means the possibility of some more potential problems. That is why it is beneficial to attend training that is relevant to the type of advanced diving you wish to pursue...to point out those potential issues and give you the solutions to deal with them.

On my check out dive I descended into a muddly lake and performed the same tasks I had done in the pool. The big difference is it was a tad bit more cold and brown.

My brother performed his checkout dives off of Freeport Grand Bahama and saw a pair of goliath groupers and some dolphins.

He also peformed the same exact drills he had performed in class.

An example: My SO was passed through her confined water (pool) sessions without any ability to remove her mask. Her instructor is extremely well known and highly regarded. She finally overcame this by sitting in the shower with a full rig, slowly pulling her mask off.

Did you get pictures? :D

Thanks to everyone. I go to the pool because right now I know I am not ready. I know that I have the tendancy to panic but I am learning!!! I have a few more pool sessions and each time I become less scared and better at the skills. I guess I am one of those people that just needs a little extra instruction.

Again, Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. It makes me feel better about the sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom