Checklist before leaving for diving [sample included] - What to take.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I research the crap out of the place where I am going. If theft of shoes is reported, I'd then take a few pairs.

LOL. :D

I used to have a girl friend like that. We would go somewhere and she would have a map and a compulsive desire to know EXACTLY where we were at every moment.

I used to dive her crazy that I would just do things like get on a bus and ride 100km further without knowing what was going to be there when we arrived. She would say, "OMG NOW WE'RE LOST!!!"

My response was always that same. "You're only lost if you don't want to be where are are right now."

Long story short. We broke up :) I'm sure she would have freaked out and tried to strangle some local because of stolen shoes. Me? I just bought some flip flops and kept enjoying myself.

In real life my job is to organize and control EVERYTHING. To me it's a welcome break from that and it gives me deep sense of peace of mind when I can NOT be in control and just roll with whatever hand I'm dealt.

R..

Well my list was like yours until I had tossed my weight pockets into the weight bag and forgot to take them out. Showed up in Keys with my BCD but no integrated weight pockets. Added weight pockets to the list

Have a DIN adapter in my reg bag. Was washing gear and decided to actually rinse it off and hung up to try in garage. Discovered two weeks ago the night before a dive in Grand Cayman that it was still in garage. Boat had a DIN adapter (and I could have rented a reg if it did not) but added that to the list.

You use a lift bag instead of an SMB? I would think it seas the SMB might be more visible.

I also have a spare mask on my list.

LOL. No, sorry. I'm sure I could get it though if you want it. Last I heard she was working at a university teaching undergrads to program computers..... the ONE thing in life that requires unbending discipline and procedure.... Kind of like how she deals with people, actually. :D

R..

You use a lift bag instead of an SMB? I would think it seas the SMB might be more visible.

I also have a spare mask on my list.

Well, I dive in shallow lakes locally, SMB is overkill, lift bag is optional, usually I don't even bother with it. I also have a spare mask but it is in my toolbox, thus, no extra entry.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2015 at 02:36 PM ----------

LOL. No, sorry. I'm sure I could get it though if you want it. Last I heard she was working at a university teaching undergrads to program computers..... the ONE thing in life that requires unbending discipline and procedure.... Kind of like how she deals with people, actually. :D

R..

Boy, I am a programmer myself. I guess we are like that, crave knowledge of the situation.

I am not rich enough to get into unknown trouble.

I should say that I'm not overly rich either. I just don't need a lot and because I don't carry multiple pairs of shoes I can afford things like cheap flip flops if mine get stolen.

My way of traveling does entail some risks and it's not for everyone. Obviously I'm not a greenhorn about it but I've been caught out on occasion. I had to sleep on the streets in Mumbai and in Zanzibar. I got a whole group of people arrested by the military by bribing the crew to sneak off a ferry when it couldn't dock because a cargo ship was in the way and I didn't feel like waiting..... I did feel bad about that but we got everyone off.... I found myself in India in a remote village without enough money to buy a train ticket out and I've been been "lost" in the Canadian Rockies even by my reckoning to the point where I needed to apply everything I know about wilderness travel to get "found" again... and that was in the dead of winter.

I also found myself (and my ex girlfriend) 1/2 way up Mt. Kilimanjaro having lost our guide, our gear and our food and just sitting on a rock waiting for a solution. She, of course, **** a cow and was panicking. I applied what we had learned in Africa. "Hakuna Matata". I told her to be patient and a solution would present itself, which it did. By that time she nearly died of high blood pressure. I was never stressed because even if our guide had made off with our stuff (which he hadn't) then Africans would never let you just sit there and die..... Other guides had already asked me (which I never told my ex :devious:
) If I wanted help, but I said,
"not yet".

The one thing that travelling has taught me is that no matter how hard it gets, someone will always help you. In Zanzibar we went from sleeping on the streets to having breakfast a day later with a delegation of government ministers and discussing the AIDS epidemic over croissants. Stuff like this will NEVER happen to you if you never take a risk.

There was only one time that I was a bit tense while traveling. We were driving through the Kalahari and got turned around. We ended up following the tire tracks in the sand that we found, not sure if we should go north or south, with some limited amount of water and petrol. Either we would get out or our problems would become a lot worse if we ran out of gas or found an abandoned car at the end of the tire tracks. :) We, obviously, got out but even before that we had encountered a few bushmen that gave me peace of mind because I knew that even if we didn't get out we wouldn't die.

Again, stuff like this never happens to you if you never take a risk.

R..

---------- Post added April 21st, 2015 at 10:08 PM ----------

Boy, I am a programmer myself. I guess we are like that, crave knowledge of the situation.

LOL... Sounds like you're in the right business.

R..

Diver0001, as I recall, your last international dive trip involved leaving home with your mask . . .

I have a packing routine, and the gear has places it lives, so at the end of my routine, I run through my head-to-toe equipment check (usually out loud) and see if I can account for everything, and then I do a visual sweep of the shelves to make sure nothing is sitting there looking lonely. It works great as long as I am packing de novo (and not after having partially unpacked the trunk from a prior day's diving), and as long as I'm not having to pack stuff for other people.

I keep threatening to laminate a checklist and put it in the lid of my gear trunk, but I haven't gotten that motivated yet.

Diver0001, as I recall, your last international dive trip involved leaving home with your mask . . .

True. All I had was my mask and a full measure of trust and faith in people. :wink:

R..

I have several lists, none of which I take the time to use. My ritual is to clean and put away all the gear in its spot in my dive locker and then pack what I need when I'm going to head out. A quick look around and I'll see if I forgot anything.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom