Chesapeake Bay, Virginia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Distraction

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a certified diver, but haven't dived in the Chesapeake Bay, even though I fish there all the time from my boat.

I'm interested in spear-fishing, and recovering lost anchors and tackle and such. I don't mind cold water (I was certified in the Pugeot Sound in Washington state), and don't mind low viz (3 feet). I'm particularly interested in the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel complex (CBBT), and the Cell.

Anyone with any info would be very helpful. The folks at the dive shops locally tend to favor blue-water diving.

Thanks!

Matt

That's the same kind of info I've been seeking for quite some time, but apparently they don't do a lot of diving in Ches Bay, due to lack of vis, currentls possibly....

We'd really have to hunt down a local, because even the LDS in the area don't promote it.

Good time to bring that up.

Does anyone know much about this wrecK? In terms of having actually dived it?

If so, let me (us) know (the details). Been after that for years.

I am not aware of any restrictions diving the bridge tunnel. When it's very rough on the ocean, occasionally the local operators will go to 1st or 2nd island (where the first tunnel begins and ends) as an option if the folks agree so as to avoid being totally scubbed for the day.

Most the diving is around the islands, which are rip rap rocks dropping to about 35' up close. There are also holes under the bridge sides of the islands that go to about 50' or so. Most the folks that dive there are hunters using there own boats. These are also very popular fishing areas.

Yes, the currents can be very very strong when the tides are moving. However, there is always a "lee side" of the island which is not running that you can dive. It's not something you want to do without someone who is experienced because it is very easy to get caught in the current. You can be lazily enjoying life one minute, and move 15' too far and be in a ripping 3-4 knot current the next.

The best viz I've ever seen was about 15' or so. More typically it is 3' - 5'. Of course, 1' is not uncommon. If you can see them, spearfishing for rockfish, sea bass, bluefish, drum and flounder can be very good.

I'd suggest contacting the local Hammerheads club associated with Lynnhaven Dive Center for the names of local folks who regularly go to the bridge tunnel to find buddys if you want to dive it.

Dude, the Ches Bay is like the only place I have ever spearfished. There and within 15 miles of the coast. I have lots of fun swimming around the calm side of the third or forth island spearing. Mainly Spadefish, Sheepshead, Tautog, and Flounder. There is usually tons of Striped Bass but it is illegal to shoot them in Virginia. Unfortunate. My dad has a boat and my brother and I often go offshore and spearfish. The water can get very clear when you get a few miles offshore. The vis at the Bay Bridge tunnel can range from 3-5 feet up to 20 feet on a good day. The slack high tide at the third or forth island is the best.

Beachman and Maguire -

Thanks for the tips! Maguire, check your messages.

I don't mind low viz. Strong current can be bothersome.

It comes down to cost. I go fishing all the time in my boat at the CBBT or the Light Tower. I can afford that. I can't afford a trip to the Caribbean or to take a charter out to some wreck with people who don't want you spearing. I just want to find the places to go with my buddy and get some dinner. :) (Without having to save for 6 mos to do it...just had my first baby.)

Anyone else out there of the same mindset?

Matt

Back
Top Bottom