Chicago Great Lakes \ Caribbean diving - Asking for advice on BC or BP\W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChiTC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good Evening,

I've been diving and renting gear for almost 10 years now, and am ready to buy my own BC. All of my diving so far has been in the Caribbean, but I'm trying to screw up the courage to do some diving in my back yard (Lake Michigan) this summer.

Looking to buy a BC or backplate rig that I can use for both types of diving. I've had my eye on the DiveRite TransPac with a Travel Wing.

Any thoughts on this setup? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!

I like that idea of a tranpac as well as the wing. might want to consider going with a Halcyon with a nice donughnut wing. See if there is a place where you can try before you buy. i'm sure you must have tried a wide variety of BC's in your years and must have a favorite. Wish you luck, safe diving.

I suggest a backplate and a single, continuous webbing. It's affordable. If you grow out of the harness, it costs you $10 to replace it.

I have a backplate and wing you can try out sometime if you'd like. It's a one piece harness and the wing is a Dive Rite Rec wing. I think you will like the one piece harness. Very streamlined and simple.

For wings, I like Halcyon, Dive Rite, and Oxycheq. You can mate any of those wings up to pretty much any standard backplate.

Thanks to lefemme36

and

Thanks to ppo2_diver. I appreciate the offer!

Time to learn more about Back plates and Wings.

Thats the great thing about a BP/W...you can use it anywhere. I use mine to dive dry in the winter and then I dive it in Cozumel and Bonaire. It is adjustable for whatever exposure suit you require and if you decide to go to doubles all you need is a new wing. I have a friend who dives the transpac and he likes it, i prefer a hog harness and a steel backplate. It is simple and works better than any jacket style BC i have ever used. I just bought me a Halcyon rig and gave my DSS rig to my girlfriend..she loves it!

try a deep sea supply kyadex back plate with a simply hog harness.
I dive the carabian and the great lakes. The real difference is in the exposure suit.
Great Lakes in a dry suit Cozumel wet. A back plate wiill be veritable to do both.
jerryb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom