Chlorine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimpod

Contributor
Reaction score
So, just how bad is chlorine for your gear? I am trying to schedule a pool session to check out my new wing but keep reading those posts from people who would never ever subject their BP/W to pool water. Is one hour in the pool really going to have significant effect?

It's basically no different than standing in the shower with your gear on.....depending on where you live that is....No, go for it and hey, rinse it off with the water hose when your done, it has chlorine in ita also....see.

Peace and have funtrying out your new gear.

Jay

Take the class, rinse your gear well. If you are real paranoid save some rain water or buy a few 2 1/2 gallon jugs of spring water and rinse with that.

I don't know about comparing pool water to tap water. Pool water is usually much more heavily chlorinated. Heck, we have a rinse barrel next to our scuba pool. The rinse barrel is full of tap water.

Heavy chlorination is why people take showers after pool swimming. You can usually smell the stuff coming off you as you get out of many pools. Some pools have enough chlorine to actually occlude the water; that's just nasty.

I always rinse off my gear after its been in a pool. I've seen yellow fins turn white. WHITE. Black wetsuits and BCD's turn brown.

One hour won't do anything - just rinse it off in the shower afterward. When you teach regularly in a pool, that's when the fading starts.

Tom Winters:
One hour won't do anything - just rinse it off in the shower afterward. When you teach regularly in a pool, that's when the fading starts.

It took about 6 months of regular 2 twice a week pool sessions for my boots to start turning. By Bc still looks great. Just rinse everything of everytime.

My boots have finally started to fade and rot but thats had 3 years of 1hr per week chlorine immersion without washing afterwards.

You gear isnt going to suddenly dissolve when placed in a pool. At the very worst after a few months some colours will start to fade.

Just wash it in fresh water afterwards and dont worry.

Drop the tank and regs, walk into the shower, rinse off for a fiew min. good to go.

archman:
...You can usually smell the stuff coming off you as you get out of many pools. Some pools have enough chlorine to actually occlude the water...
Here's the irony about chlorine in pools. If it has a strong smell, you probably need to ADD chlorine. As chlorine remains exposed, it starts to degrade. That's when it begins to smell. Anytime its smelling stinky, ADD more (fresh) chlorine.

Generally if you reek when you get out of the pool, the pool needs another dose or chlorine. (Or maybe you just need to change your eating habits)

Chlorine can prematurely bleach a wide range of materials, make plasic parts more brittle and accelerate the breakdown of rubber parts. On the other hand, it certainly will sanitize your equipment. Minimizing pool exposure and thoroughly flushing & rinsing your gear afterward should prevent any serious problems. Please note that use of shared dunk tank is not sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom