Choices for regs in certain price range

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim, I think you missed my point. If OP can get HOG service locally, great for him. But if you can't get it, then you can't get it. Doesn't matter whether because the shop can't do it or they are not willing to do it for liability reason. You have to mail it out. A 5 minutes adjustment testing job becomes a week turn around job. It is just not as convinient. I experienced this first hand.

As for yoke thing, sure if you buy your own tank, you can buy DIN. But don't forget, divers who buy their first reg are very likely using rental tanks. Now unless you say DIN rental is as easy to come by as yoke rental. It is not a myth. It is all about convinence, about what makes new diver's life easier. If you have to use din-to-yoke converter 100% of the time because you are using rental, why not just have native yoke. And let's NOT turn this into jacket vs bp/w.

For any budget, HOG is the answer. As far as local service, that's a crap shoot with emphasis on crap. You can always send your regs off for service

Jim, I think you missed my point. If OP can get HOG service locally, great for him. But if you can't get it, then you can't get it. Doesn't matter whether because the shop can't do it or they are not willing to do it for liability reason. You have to mail it out. A 5 minutes adjustment testing job becomes a week turn around job. It is just not as convinient. I experienced this first hand.

As for yoke thing, sure if you buy your own tank, you can buy DIN. But don't forget, divers who buy their first reg are very likely using rental tanks. Now unless you say DIN rental is as easy to come by as yoke rental. It is not a myth. It is all about convinence, about what makes new diver's life easier. If you have to use din-to-yoke converter 100% of the time because you are using rental, why not just have native yoke. And let's NOT turn this into jacket vs bp/w.

That is a good point.
I am actually leaning towards the hog setup. You are also right din vs yoke for ppl who don't own tanks like me. I would probably get the yoke adapter for them.
Just one more question. There is a used set of Aqualung legend LX and legend octo with gauges for 400. Good deal or should I stick with hog?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Don't get me wrong, I truely think HOG is making great reg for a very affordable price. You hear all the good thing about it. I am just trying give you a different perspective from a newer (less knowledgeable) diver point of new. And all my concern has nothing to do with quality or performance or service from Chris, DRIS ... It is only logistic. I love mine btw.

I have heard good thing about AL Legend too. But when buyign used reg, you most likely will take it in for service. Servicing a 1st + 2 2nd stage and a guage, say $80 for labor, $50 for parts, total $130. Making the true cost of putting this set into service to be $530, give or take.

For reference, HOG single tank package from DRIS is $499, +$20 for cold water, +$35 for din-to-yoke, making it total of $550. You get the hose length of your choice, which is nice. It is brand new.

It is a tough call. Here is my question to you:
1) Can you get HOG service locally?
2) Do you ever hit you head on the 1st stage while diving? I asked because if you do, din-to-yoke converter will only make it worse. Not everyone has this issue tho.

If Yes to 1) and No to 2), I personally will go with HOG.

Legends are great regulators, I have two sets of LX Supreme. the only negative I have about them is they are a little on the heavy side, otherwise they breath great and are bulletproof.

Definably worth considering.

I am trying to find out if I could find a service center for hog but no luck. Divegearexpress is about an hour away but they don't show they do service. I don't recall if I bump my head lol.

Is that a good price for the legend LX?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

$400 for a full reg set with Legends is a good deal, the 1&2nd MSRP was about 700 + octo + SPG.

I like being at 50% or less than what it sold for new.

being that's it's name brand service should not be an issue at all.

I've bought new before.. its not worth the free parts for life..

Not an issue anymore. No more FPFL unless you buy a BC and computer as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom