Choices for regs in certain price range

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last and final opinions on these two setups before I make my purchase. Thank you so much for your time and patience!!! :)

Just go by Dive Gear Express and look at Hollis, DiveRite, and Hog regs in the ,er, flesh.

Just go by Dive Gear Express and look at Hollis, DiveRite, and Hog regs in the ,er, flesh.

...and with the exception of Hollis, both Dive Rite and HOG are made by the same company in Taiwan. Ocean Divers Supply. Look them up. They also make the Diver's Supply house brand, Sea Elite, and all the Edge stuff too if I'm not mistaken.

My advice? Buy a reg from a company with a little more control and ownership over the manufacturing process. You can't go wrong with Atomic or ScubaPro. HOG has its fans, but I've heard a few horror stories. If Atomic or SP started selling parts to their customers, you'd never even hear of HOG.

See for yourself - ODS

Nothing wrong with buying used either.

I wish I still had the particular issue of Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine from years ago that was titled "Unsafe at any Depth"
An in depth lab test of bargain priced regulators mostly sold mail order, that were imports, AT THAT TIME would sure make you stick with a name brand.
Anybody else old enough to remember the article? Anyone have a copy?

I wish I still had the particular issue of Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine from years ago that was titled "Unsafe at any Depth"
An in depth lab test of bargain priced regulators mostly sold mail order, that were imports, AT THAT TIME would sure make you stick with a name brand.
Anybody else old enough to remember the article? Anyone have a copy?

So what do you suggest? Stick with apeks? Go with the used set of Aqualung? Or with hog???

Too many choices!!! I am a little overwhelmed lol

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

There are so many excellent choices.
This is the one that I have been using since 1998:
Apeks DS-4 + TX50 + T20. The latest equivalent should be DS-4 + XTX50 and XTX20.
Spend some money and time to learn how to service it will be very useful.

OK I was thinking, I don't need the best of the best apeks reg. What about the at40? Same specs but no adjustable breathing.

Truth is you would be hard pressed to buy a "bad" regulator (new or used), it's all about what is best for you.

it's time to honest with yourself, and time to do a little research.

Unless you plan on doing your own service and can source parts, Get something that you can have serviced locally ( scout the LDS and find out what they can/will service) the Usual suspects are Aqualung/Apeks, Scubapro, Atomic, Cressi.

What kind of diving you going to be doing, if a lot of travel maybe the heavy Legend is not the best choice, Like diving in silt or cold water, then a sealed 1st stage might be a good idea.

what designs have you used in the past and liked... ect.

My only advise would be find yourself a set of balanced 1st and 2nd stages

Truth is you would be hard pressed to buy a "bad" regulator (new or used), it's all about what is best for you.

it's time to honest with yourself, and time to do a little research.

Unless you plan on doing your own service and can source parts, Get something that you can have serviced locally ( scout the LDS and find out what they can/will service) the Usual suspects are Aqualung/Apeks, Scubapro, Atomic, Cressi.

What kind of diving you going to be doing, if a lot of travel maybe the heavy Legend is not the best choice, Like diving in silt or cold water, then a sealed 1st stage might be a good idea.

what designs have you used in the past and liked... ect.

My only advise would be find yourself a set of balanced 1st and 2nd stages

You are right. The diving I do will almost always be warm water. I have never dove cold water. I do mostly recreational diving cause my partner is my wife but I do want to explore the wreck world. I plan on taking a class to see if I like it or not. As far as traveling, I haven't cross that bridge but I will when I go to the Bahamas. I currently use an Aqualung legend right now but will be passing it on to my wife and get a new set for me. I haven't thought about servicing my regs. I have two good LDS that gives great service.

OK I was thinking, I don't need the best of the best apeks reg. What about the at40? Same specs but no adjustable breathing.
XTX40 is normally coupled with UST(non-environmental sealed 1st stage). As long as you are not diving cold water, it is fine. You need an allen key to adjust the breathing knob.

All Apeks 1st stages are literally the same and the difference between various 2nd stages are minimal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom