Choosing a LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmyz19:
I was just kind of wonder what the standard was for supporting your certifying shop.
There really isn't any particular standard for supporting a shop simply because it is the one you originally certify through. It may be convenient / optimal to contiue to work with that LDS, if the initial experience was positive. That happened for me, but it may not be the case for all.
$$ charge for air fills
do they have an associated dive club (if so attend next meeting of each)
do they do local diving
are they a "technical" dive shop (if you think that you may go that way)
brands of regulators they sell
list of upcoming training class times and dates.
are they associated with one particular dive boat or do they move around
do they have social events other than dive club meetings
can they suggest a good dive buddy for you -
pick one or two shops that are a good personal fit.
Some excellent advice. You should pick a primary LDS on the basis of how well it fits your needs and interests. You have already replied to early posts that the goal is not just saving a buck or two, so this advice is even more relevant.

There is no obligation to continue with a LDS just because you do OW with them. However, if your initial experience is good, it may be worth continuing. I signed up for OW with a shop (LDS #1) only because the friend who got me interested in trying out scuba had done his certification with them. He used them only because they were 5 minutes from his house. They were 50 minutes from mine, and I had to drive past two shops to get there, but I went along with his recommendation because I had no clue what to look for in a LDS. After my OW certification, I signed up for AOW with the same shop. I waited too long to reserve rental tanks for the weekend course, and found myself the morning of the start of the course with only one rental tank - they had multiple acitivities going on that weekend and every one of their rental tanks, except the one I got, were reserved. Plus, they just happened to have sold their last AL80 in stock the evening before the class. So, I impulsively went across town and bought an AL80 from LDS #2, to have the (required) two tanks for the course. It was not at all the same atmosphere as the original - LDS #2 came across as controlling ('you should do what we say, because we know everything and you don't'). Later that year (after AOW and nitrox with LDS #1), I went to LDS #3 for a nitrox fill, to see what they were like. That was the last time I bought anything from them (the person I dealt with was just obnoxious), although I later came to know the owner and several other staff, and they are now good friends.

I stuck with LDS #1 because they were friendly, helpful, and their prices seemed to be OK. Over time, I took more courses with them, pursued technical diving instruction with them, went on a number of NC coastal charters and then Caribbean dive trips with them, did DM and then OWSI with them, and now teach there. But, at each step of my business relationship with them, they continued to earn my trust and respect. I am very loyal, but not because they were my first training experience.

“Trust” and “Respect” are but a few of the important components of any relationship, whether it is personal or business related.
Remember there a lot of LDS out there and keep shopping around until you find the right fit.:D

It's a business, so worry about what is best for you as the consumer.

Agree. Don't worry about supporting your certifying shop. You paid them for the course--they delivered. That's it. My LDS is a fine establishment (AND the only one of consequence in the entire province). I have bought lots of stuff from them, and some other stuff they did not have (or were too pricey) from shops in 2 states. I have also bought stuff online. My LDS knows all this and has no problem with it (there usually is a disparity in prices from Canada to the States). I look forward shortly to DMing for them. If you are into that stuff and there is a lot of political stuff between several shops in your area, it may be prudent to go strictly with your LDS. If not, do what's best for you. As above, "It's a business".

I was just recently certified, and why I am loyal to that shop is a little odd. During the certification process, I was not particularly happy with the shop. The dates changed MANY times, the instructor was late for every single class, the pool wasn't ready on time so our first pool day was canceled. At one point in the class, after I got my certification I was ready to never come back.

Then things started turning around. I realized that despite being habitually late and willing to talk about anything at all for as long as you could listen, the owner/instructor was a VERY experienced diver, and a good teacher. They have reasonable prices in the shop, and while hours are short and its sometimes not open when it should be, service is amazing. If they don't have it, they will get it. They have dives every Thursday, where gear rental is half off, which is awesome when your the only one who graduates your class and you need someone to dive with. 2 weeks after I graduated, I was in the shop and the owner asked me if I wanted to come do a couple working dives that weekend. All my rentals were free as well as a start on two free certifications, Underwater Navigation and Search and Recovery. About 6 of us spent two dives using lift bags to build an underwater classroom and navigation course, which was awesome. This weekend, I am doing the Advanced Open Water course with them, and cant wait.

In short, I hated my local dive shop at first, but awesome owners made me love it. I cant imagine going anywhere else now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom