Christmas in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paschen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi y'all
I am planning to base myself out of Phuket from 22nd Dec to 29th of Dec.
I know it is Chrissy - but is it usually a sell out over Christmas (like it is in my home town here in Australia)?
I am planning to book 2 or 3 nights for when I first arrive then just play it by ear. With all you locals visiting the boards here - is that just going to leave me in the out or is it still doable?
I am not much of a wreck diver - more of a wall or bommie diver.
Cheers
T

Hi Paschen

Well the sound advice is always to book up in advance. Otherwise you might find yourself out in the cold and ending up taking any old bed you can. It can be very tricky getting any availability at that time of year to be honest.

Have you dived in Thailand before? Walls and bommies are your thing? I guess you will be planning a trip to the Similans then. The massive underwater boulders are what really make the diving stand out (as well as plenty of fish and colour, mantas and maybe even a whale shark or two).

Have you thought about doing a Similans liveaboard over this period? There are all sorts of prices around and that would ease your accommodation concerns and get you diving on all the best spots.

Whatever you choose I am sure you will have a great time!

Cheers.

I have never dived in Thailand before and was planning to be diving somewhere else this Christmas, but plans change and off to Thailand and Cambodia I go.
I looked at the liveaboards but they struck me as incredibly expensive, especially when I compare it to the prices here which are expensive to start with. Also as I am solo now, that blows the costs out even more.
I like walls and bommies because you don't have go too deep to have a nice enjoyable long dive... walls I especially like, because if an area is a bit drag, drop up or down. :) Also I am claustrophobic in wrecks, so not really into them... And I have been deep enough to curb my "go deep thang." I do lots of OW photography - so good lighting, not too much current is helpful for me because I still suck at it!
I will doing 3 days diving in Sihanouokville also.

Paschen,
If I was you, I wouldn't venture to Pukhet over xmas, without having the accommodation issue all sorted, and reservations confirmed. Xmas is absolute peak season at Phuket, prices at least double, and for some places even triple, for this very period, and, as OnTheSpot stated, you might easily find yourself left out in the cold (or rather warmth, actually) or having to take anything you can find at any price you can get.
As to the price of liveaboards I guess it depends what kind of price range you've been looking at, but in general, I personally think that liveaboards are quite reasonably priced, if you consider that it doesn't only cover the dives, but you won't pay for a hotel room or food during that period either. I wouldn't be surprised, if daytrips + hotel + food ashore worked out pricier than a liveaboard in some cases.

Also as I am solo now, that blows the costs out even more
Prices are based on twin share - you only have to pay more if you want to book a private cabin for just yourself.

Liveaboards expensive? Well for 4 days you can take a Similan Islands trip for anywhere from 500 US$ to 2,500 US$. The prices for the lowest budget boats are still very low if that's the kind of boat you want.

Hotels - if you want anything like a nice resort - try to book now. If you'd be happy with a cheap guesthouse you can try your luck, but even then, for Christmas - find one now!

Enjoy Phuket!
Jamie

Thankyou everyone for your advice and messages...
Knowing that as a solo traveller I can still share a cabin is awesome news - and I have now booked on a 5 day 4 night trip.
Just got to knock down two nights accomodation and I am done. WHEEE.
Don't suppose anyone knows about the diving in Sionoukville in Cambodia?

Back
Top Bottom