Class Report: GUE Primer 5/14 - 5/15 with Bob Sherwood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree that a flat descent is a Bob idiosyncrasy. I have now seen at least two other GUE instructors begin their descent that way.

I find it actually much more controlled and easier than descending feet first. i fell like i'm able to keep better eye on my buddies as we descend.

my drysuit is already vented. i just go flat in the water, butt up slightly, use the butt dump and voila! nice flat descent in team position, none of that wrestling around trying to find each other cause you had your eyes momentarily diverted whilst initiating descent.

another side benefit is that you are not stirring up the bottom in the shallows, you can initiate 'descent' in very shallow water and 'ease' out :)

Like so much of what Bob taught us (or tried to teach us), the totally horizontal initial descent is probably not intended to be an all or nothing skill. It is just one more tool in your growing collection of skill you can draw on.

The intention seemed to be to give divers skill and control. and an understanding of WHY certain skills, techniques and gear are used in certain situations.

Like team ascents/descents, in Fundies where we were going from 20 to 6ft, then down again to a specified depth, back up to another specified depth, as a team, this is not a drill you probably will ever do again, but development of a tool to help divers establish a well defined team buoyancy tool, skills which may be useful in various dive situations.

Unlike other GUE classes there is no pass or fail to Primer. You are being exposed to new skills and techniques, and even gear choices. You get the chance to develop, try things out, hone skills, and even play around to see what works best. Nobody is going to come out of a Primer class an instant tech diver, at least no one that I know will.

In the end you take from Primer exactly what you want to take, and what you are willing to work on, and it is really just a starting point. It expands your tool bag of skills, and in my case gave me a whole lot of insight into areas of diving that I was only vaguely aware of before. It sure made my diving more fun, as if it was not fun before that!

I actually HAVE used the descend flat technique in very shallow water (like the entry to Jailhouse). I still don't like it. There is a period of time when my torso is slightly underwater and my feet are still out, which means my fins aren't effective at all; I feel unstable and unhappy like that (and look it, too, I think :) ). At any rate, my point was simply that it is not a universal requirement for GUE technique.

Has anybody ever really lost their teammates in the process of going from the surface to 2 feet underwater?

At any rate, my point was simply that it is not a universal requirement for GUE technique.

Has anybody ever really lost their teammates in the process of going from the surface to 2 feet underwater?

I agree it's not a universal GUE requirement. I'm pretty sure Bob doesn't require it either. Just suggests it as a tool to improve comfort. Works for some folks, not for others. I think my last few teams have all descended vertically the first few feet, and I don't remember but I suspect I mimicked them and that was fine too.

Sorry, change of plans. Seems I have to go down to NC this weekend on some family business. Next time though.

Lilla and Desi, you guys should check out the Richmond Dive Club, I started out there, an awesome bunch of people, great speakers at their meetings, great trip planners, regulars at Rawlings, I could just go on and on :bounce4:

Thanks, but Richmond's a little far for me. I do know of those great folks from hanging out with them at Rawlings.

As far as I know, that particular descent technique is peculiar to Bob. Some of the gear suggestions or requirements are idiosyncratic as well.

I'm curious as to what. My only exposure to GUE in a classroom/official capacity (so far) has been with Bob and I'm just wondering what the differences/idiosyncrasies are.

Everything he showed us was pretty well "by the book", with the possible exception being routing the wing LP inflator hose through the nylon webbing at the elbow joint along with the rubber bands on the corrugated hose. I'd never seen it and he said it wasn't a requirement, just something he liked to do. I tried it in class and it made my routing just a LITTLE bit cleaner, and since I am that much OCD about my gear and setup I kept it. It's a bit more of a pain to put on and take off, but my kit stays assembled most of the time, since I'm using it that much. (In fact, I just broke it down to VIP my tanks and I realized it was the first time it had been apart since December!)

Anyway, if you wanna PM so as not to further derail the thread, please feel free. I am a sponge when it comes to this stuff, as I like to soak up all I can from as many different sources. Everything Bob laid out to us was pretty spot-on for me, but I still wanna hear from as many people as I can.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On-topic, glad you enjoyed it and got something out of it! I know even when I was in Fundies and looking like a monkey humping a football, I was learning and having a blast. Like any skill, it gets easier and more fun the more you do it.

I think back to that quote that the "Tiger Mom" woman said a month or so ago. She wrote that book about being a "Chinese Mom" and how running your kid hard and accepting nothing less than perfection would make them better people. Well anyhow, she was on some show being interviewed and the question came up about sports or playing an instrument or whatever and how you need to push your kid hard to drill and practice constantly so they become excellent. She was catching flak for "not letting kids just be kids and have fun." She responded with something to the effect of, "An activity isn't 'fun' until you're good at it."

I thought about it and that makes total sense. Since becoming a better diver, (via GUE and elsewhere), my diving fun has improved so much. I think to other stuff I do, like ride motorbikes, playing the guitar, shooting and waterskiing and each activity has become more fun, involving and rewarding the better I've become at it.

So keep diving and keep practicing. Don't overdo it and kill yourself and don't lose sight of why we do this, (to have fun!)

Stick with it and keep us all posted!

Everything he showed us was pretty well "by the book", with the possible exception being routing the wing LP inflator hose through the nylon webbing at the elbow joint along with the rubber bands on the corrugated hose. I'd never seen it and he said it wasn't a requirement, just something he liked to do. I tried it in class and it made my routing just a LITTLE bit cleaner, and since I am that much OCD about my gear and setup I kept it.

Ditto but I'm not OCD. :D

During class, Bob did the same to my hose. I continue to route my hose in that same manner because like you, I think it looked cleaner.

... with the possible exception being routing the wing LP inflator hose through the nylon webbing at the elbow joint along with the rubber bands on the corrugated hose.

What nylon webbing are you all talking about? Is this something unique to Halcyon wings?

Your review is having me look at taking this class (and it actually IS the type of class I have been looking for (finning, trim, buoyancy etc).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom