Class Report - UTD Essentials of Rec (9/10-9/12)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah you haven't been shown the "pop your head up and sneak a peek.. then subsurface scooter to the boat before they see you" technique.

I'm still developing my X-Periscope for those not so proud moments when stealth in getting back to the boat is needed :wink:

We wanted to awe the people on the boat with how quickly we can get back to the boat on the scooters :D

Congrats! I am with you on being too hard on myself! I likely made a few people really nervous with how hard I was on myself (and how bad I was in the water too) but I've since learned that the only criticism that matters should come from the instructor, not ourself.

Contrats and prepare for your diving enjoyment to change for the better!

Thanks for the great dives this weekend. Also appreciate the report, it's always good to read a different perspective on the festivities.

Looking forward to diving with you in the future, either skills or fun (without quotes).

Thanks for the great dives this weekend. Also appreciate the report, it's always good to read a different perspective on the festivities.

Looking forward to diving with you in the future, either skills or fun (without quotes).

Likewise! The sad thing is, I think I did some of my best work during the one dive you weren't on the bottom for. Maybe all those failures were actually your fault! Yeah... that totally makes sense... :wink:

Seriously though, thanks again for getting me into the class. Despite the intense exhaustion I felt when I got home - my girlfriend said I made some "old man noises" - I haven't been this excited about where my diving is heading in a while.

Brian,

So nice that you took the class, I knew you would enjoy it... It's ironic that I didn't see you this weekend, as I did my first post Fundies dive on Saturday...

We did South Monastery and only completed one dive since the viz wasn't all that great...

We headed over to Break Water but I didn't see you, where were you? With all the madness of DUI drysuit event, don't know how I would have seen you.

Anyway, congrats on finishing up the class and hope to get a dive in with you soon. Will tell you it's great to go back to singles when diving doubles, you feel naked in the water. :)

MG

Last edited:
I heard Don was teaching a course this past weekend. Nice to see more people taking an interest in improving their team building skills and diving skills. Sure seems like more and more people are starting to realize these are some of the best classes you can take for your money. I feel I got a bargain with how much time our instructors spent with us. All of our diving skills improved drastically.

I am sure the try GUE event in Oct. will again be completely filled with more wanting to learn about the system of diving.

Will tell you it's great to go back to singles when diving doubles, you feel naked in the water. :)

MG
Agreed even though HP130's are not exactly small tanks, they are much easier to move around on land than double 100's. I found it really easy to roll and look up at the schools of fish above us. Plus the metridiums and sheer canyon walls were incredible.

This is my first post to Scubaboard in a couple months!

I agree with Brian entirely -- the course was excellent, Don was a great instructor, and I have a very clear set of skills to work on and objectives. I also learned a ton of stuff outside of the course materials, like better technique for ascending and dumping air while in trim. I can also attest that Brian was a great teammate and dive buddy, and I look forward to diving with him and Don again.

So sign up for this course if you want to build your skills, and be sure to ask for Don!

As Kathy drove by me at the Breakwater on Sunday, she said, "It's about time you took one of these classes". I couldn't agree more! :D

Doug Chartier and I took the course as a team of two - we organized it on really short notice, and finding a third just wasn't in the cards. Don Chennavasin (ae3753) taught the course, with some assistance on day 3 from his lovely wife. Additional pre-dive intimidation was provided (gratis!) on day 3 by Andrew Georgitsis (and his pack of dogs, no doubt trained to sniff out people with poor trim), who was nice enough to let us gawk at the UTD rebreather setup for a bit when he showed up on Sunday. :)

Anyway, onto the "report"...

I won't get into the details of what this course covers - there are tons of reports that contain way more detail than I think my brain is capable of recalling at the moment. Sufficed to say, the emphasis in this course was on buoyancy, trim, propulsion, and team. While I knew going into the course that team was going to be a huge factor, what I didn't realize was just how much team was going impact proficiency in the other three areas.

I learned a LOT from this course.

Sure - I learned the little things, the skills. My back kick is functional a lot more consistently now (even the small ones I can now do to hold position while ascending). I know what's wrong with my frog kick, and what I need to do to fix it. I learned that my intuitive understanding of a helicopter turn is inverted, but I know what to do now. I know what good trim feels like. I know how to move my gear around during an S-drill*.

All that stuff is comparatively small potatoes though, when compared to the effects of team.

Doing a mod-S in trim requires decent buoyancy control and calm feet on my part. By the end of day 1, I did what I felt was a mod-S I could be reasonably proud of, all things considered. Doing a full S-drill in trim requires both divers to be in consistently good control of their buoyancy and positioning. Any significant unanticipated deviation on the part of either diver can very quickly start a chain of deviations for both divers if not managed properly (especially on a 5' hose - Doug, buy a 7' hose :D). Now do it while ascending, and holding your stops. What's that - did Don just ask for a 5' stop? Eep.

Communication was a big deal, especially as we were first getting used to the new skills (or old skills performed a new way). Don was acting as our virtual third teammate for the dives (communication-wise), and by the end of day 3 we had made a lot of progress. Signals were starting to slow down a bit - though I still rush them - and we were relaying signals through the team. As I got back a bit of the mental bandwidth I'm used to having over the course of the weekend, I found myself able to appraise situations better and communicate more significant plans (mostly) effectively.

Doing my DM training (and working as a DM) had some interesting side effects on this training, both positive and negative. One significant negative is that I've developed a very real, ingrained tendency to want to be in a "survey" position, rather than a smaller team-centric position. Good positioning for observing the tail end of the tour group in an OW class is very different from good team positioning, and I'll need to work on this. One very real positive is stress management and environment (if not team) awareness. "The long hose will get caught if we ascend this way during the S-drill - better move it around the line before it's a problem." "I've lost the up-line. Let's find some well positioned kelp to ascend on instead." There were a few key moments throughout the weekend when I felt I came up with a good plan, and it felt really good.

Interestingly enough, video review was not so bad. Part of this is absolutely because Essentials of Rec isn't a pass/fail scenario, but another thing I learned is that I'm really hard on myself, possibly even bordering on hyper-critical in some cases. Barring a couple of really nasty S-drills and S-drill ascents, the most common thing I said was, "it actually didn't look as bad as I thought." Don was always quick to point out things we did well, and how to improve the things we didn't, but looking back on it I was probably harder on myself than I had to be in a lot of cases. Somebody hug me before I eat a sadness cake. :depressed:

Alright, time to wrap this up - I'm tired of typing. Here's the summary version...

Doug was a great teammate. Don is a great instructor, and I highly recommend this course to anybody looking to improve their diving. Doug and I progressed a lot over the course of the weekend, and we definitely left with a set of things to work on. More importantly, we left with the tools to improve them.

Thanks to Don and Doug for a great weekend!

* Don made me try both ways - I like the light cord under the long hose while deployed.

The backwards kick is my nemesis. I need to head to the pool and get it down there before I start throwing in the open water variables!

Anytime you want to practice skills, just let me know!

Glad you guys did it and now I have two more people to be doing skills with. Even still, I try to do the back kick through telekinesis...hasn't worked for me yet.

BTW, Brian, you forgot to mention that I got nailed in the forehead by a sea nettle on Saturday! Fortunately, there's no scar, physical or mental...

As Kathy drove by me at the Breakwater on Sunday, she said, "It's about time you took one of these classes". I couldn't agree more! :D

Doug Chartier and I took the course as a team of two - we organized it on really short notice, and finding a third just wasn't in the cards. Don Chennavasin (ae3753) taught the course, with some assistance on day 3 from his lovely wife. Additional pre-dive intimidation was provided (gratis!) on day 3 by Andrew Georgitsis (and his pack of dogs, no doubt trained to sniff out people with poor trim), who was nice enough to let us gawk at the UTD rebreather setup for a bit when he showed up on Sunday. :)

Anyway, onto the "report"...

I won't get into the details of what this course covers - there are tons of reports that contain way more detail than I think my brain is capable of recalling at the moment. Sufficed to say, the emphasis in this course was on buoyancy, trim, propulsion, and team. While I knew going into the course that team was going to be a huge factor, what I didn't realize was just how much team was going impact proficiency in the other three areas.

I learned a LOT from this course.

Sure - I learned the little things, the skills. My back kick is functional a lot more consistently now (even the small ones I can now do to hold position while ascending). I know what's wrong with my frog kick, and what I need to do to fix it. I learned that my intuitive understanding of a helicopter turn is inverted, but I know what to do now. I know what good trim feels like. I know how to move my gear around during an S-drill*.

All that stuff is comparatively small potatoes though, when compared to the effects of team.

Doing a mod-S in trim requires decent buoyancy control and calm feet on my part. By the end of day 1, I did what I felt was a mod-S I could be reasonably proud of, all things considered. Doing a full S-drill in trim requires both divers to be in consistently good control of their buoyancy and positioning. Any significant unanticipated deviation on the part of either diver can very quickly start a chain of deviations for both divers if not managed properly (especially on a 5' hose - Doug, buy a 7' hose :D). Now do it while ascending, and holding your stops. What's that - did Don just ask for a 5' stop? Eep.

Communication was a big deal, especially as we were first getting used to the new skills (or old skills performed a new way). Don was acting as our virtual third teammate for the dives (communication-wise), and by the end of day 3 we had made a lot of progress. Signals were starting to slow down a bit - though I still rush them - and we were relaying signals through the team. As I got back a bit of the mental bandwidth I'm used to having over the course of the weekend, I found myself able to appraise situations better and communicate more significant plans (mostly) effectively.

Doing my DM training (and working as a DM) had some interesting side effects on this training, both positive and negative. One significant negative is that I've developed a very real, ingrained tendency to want to be in a "survey" position, rather than a smaller team-centric position. Good positioning for observing the tail end of the tour group in an OW class is very different from good team positioning, and I'll need to work on this. One very real positive is stress management and environment (if not team) awareness. "The long hose will get caught if we ascend this way during the S-drill - better move it around the line before it's a problem." "I've lost the up-line. Let's find some well positioned kelp to ascend on instead." There were a few key moments throughout the weekend when I felt I came up with a good plan, and it felt really good.

Interestingly enough, video review was not so bad. Part of this is absolutely because Essentials of Rec isn't a pass/fail scenario, but another thing I learned is that I'm really hard on myself, possibly even bordering on hyper-critical in some cases. Barring a couple of really nasty S-drills and S-drill ascents, the most common thing I said was, "it actually didn't look as bad as I thought." Don was always quick to point out things we did well, and how to improve the things we didn't, but looking back on it I was probably harder on myself than I had to be in a lot of cases. Somebody hug me before I eat a sadness cake. :depressed:

Alright, time to wrap this up - I'm tired of typing. Here's the summary version...

Doug was a great teammate. Don is a great instructor, and I highly recommend this course to anybody looking to improve their diving. Doug and I progressed a lot over the course of the weekend, and we definitely left with a set of things to work on. More importantly, we left with the tools to improve them.

Thanks to Don and Doug for a great weekend!

* Don made me try both ways - I like the light cord under the long hose while deployed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom