Class Report - UTD Essentials of Rec (9/10-9/12)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The backwards kick is my nemesis. I need to head to the pool and get it down there before I start throwing in the open water variables!

Anytime you want to practice skills, just let me know!

I surely will. Looks like I'm dry this weekend though, and I'm at Lake Berryessa for the cleanup next Saturday.

BTW, Brian, you forgot to mention that I got nailed in the forehead by a sea nettle on Saturday! Fortunately, there's no scar, physical or mental...

True. I also neglected to mention both of our attempts at reeling a bag down to depth - the less said there the better. :)

Totally understandable. But it was a nice little workout, and (now) I have fond memories of that little misadventure!

Ah but most of these classes are taped... So with the video you can relive moments over and over! :wink:

Oh, I guess I've been lucky -- none of my instructors gave any of us the class video. I suspect I would have laid down across the train tracks long before this, if they had!

Oh, I've got video of my bag shoot - Don was nice enough to give it hilarious captions, which actually makes it somewhat enjoyable to watch. :)

Edit: For anybody who might be considering this class but concerned about video review, I should probably point out that I thought it was pretty hilarious when it happened, so this was in no way unsupportive - Don is very nice. :)

Related note - anybody have any suggestions on how best to manage the spool to avoid getting your fingertips caught in the line while reeling in and wearing thick gloves? "Very carefully" does not count as advice. :D

Related note - anybody have any suggestions on how best to manage the spool to avoid getting your fingertips caught in the line while reeling in and wearing thick gloves? "Very carefully" does not count as advice. :D[/QUOTE]

Brian,

There is such an easy answer to your question: are you talking about when the SMB has hit the surface and you need to pull it back to depth?

The fact that your gloves are thick does make it very difficult and your finger tips are prone to getting caught on the line.

What I have found that solves this problem is simple, reach over and take Don's obnoxious camera and have him reel it back down.

Then watch how seemingly easy this guy makes it go... :D

Only problem is he will hand it back to you and then ask for his camera back and put you back on film... :wink:

Essentials was so much fun....

Compared with all the other skills that were learned in Essentials, if your only problem is getting your fingertips caught when reeling in the SMB, I'd say you did pretty darned good!

Compared with all the other skills that were learned in Essentials, if your only problem is getting your fingertips caught when reeling in the SMB, I'd say you did pretty darned good!

I definitely wouldn't say that was the only problem I had. :wink:

I am apparently the only person in the world who has a better back kick than a frog kick though. :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom