cleaning a new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was taught to use Ajax or Comet. Just pour in a little of the powder, add a few drops of water to make a paste and scrub away with your fingers. Great method for a new mask.

I was taught to use Ajax or Comet. Just pour in a little of the powder, add a few drops of water to make a paste and scrub away with your fingers. Great method for a new mask.

Only works with GLASS lenses. You'll ruin anything else.

What other kind of lenses would a quality mask have? Glass is the only thing I have ever seen in the masks I've looked at.

I have yet to come across prescription lenses in glass; they are usually polycarbonate. Hence you cannot use anything as abrasive as comet or ajax on them.

Meanwhile, I would think that using something as rough as those cleaning products would eventually wind up scoring even glass lenses. So maybe that would be good once in a while, but not on an ongoing basis.

Did not know that about prescription lenses!

I only do this the very first time for the intial cleaning and then I've been using the 500psi brand. Or is it 5000psi? Whatever. Like you said, repeated use may be bad in the long run. And can you imagine the hell you would get if you used Comet on a boat and then tried to rinse it in the ocean or rinse bucket!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom